My Concrete countertop bar build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

670x

Reaction score
I'm no carpenter by any means but I did have some time on my hands. I also had a spare kitchen in the basement that I always wanted to make a bar out of.

So it took about a month working part time and 500 bucks but here it is. It's not done yet as I had another project crop up but I hope to finish it this month.

http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/670x/?action=view&current=e051d899.pbw

Any questions fire away.

I'm no carpenter by any means but I did have some time on my hands. I also had a spare kitchen in the basement that I always wanted to make a bar out of.

So it took about a month working part time and 500 bucks but here it is. It's not done yet as I had another project crop up but I hope to finish it this month.

http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/670x/?action=view&current=e051d899.pbw

Any questions fire away.

You lie! Your carpentry skills are quite good IMO. This is a very impressive low cost project. I like the concrete bar top a lot. What was the Iron and Root Kill stuff used for? Would be good to have some descriptions to go along with the pictures. Very creative. Good work!

Yeah, details on the counter top process would be appreciated! I am thinking of something familiar. All of the techniques I have seen mold the counter top with the surface on the bottom against some melamine.

Looks great! I may have to borrow your light box idea :D.

Thanks, First you have to sand the concrete a little, I did it by hand and left it kind of rough.
The root killer stains the concrete a blue green color. The iron makes it brown. I then coated it with 3 coats of Carnuba wax and melted it with the torch to make the colors come through. I seems to be holding up quite well to stains and such.

Yeah, details on the counter top process would be appreciated! I am thinking of something familiar. All of the techniques I have seen mold the counter top with the surface on the bottom against some melamine.

Looks great! I may have to borrow your light box idea :D.

Yep those are all I found as well.
I used 5000psi Sacrete it took 300lbs to do the bar top. I lugged it down stairs in a bucket and built the mold out of the top of the bar. I used some white board (can't remember what it's called but it's cheap) and coated it with paste wax to get it to release from the concrete.
Make sure to vibrate the concrete to get all the air out (I used a palm sander on the bar legs).
Sanding it sucks it is best to do it wet (like most things). I liked a more rough surface so I did not worry about getting crazy with the sanding.
Then mix up root killer and spread it on to stain it green. Then wax it, then melt it and it's done.
When doing measurements don't forget to take into account the height of the concrete. I'm just saying.:cross: It worked out well though everyone likes the higher countertop better.

Thanks for the props.
The fridge I drug out of my Wife's Uncle's basement. I painted it with Rustoleum thinned down and shot thru a cheap spray gun in my drive way.It holds 2 kegs perfect with the racks out.
I rolled the cabinets with the same stuff.

Nice work! Also a very nice job on the boat :D I built a "Portuguese Style Dinghy" from plans I found at Hannu's Boatyard website. It's a fun little boat, but I swear I think I spent more time working on the oars :)

Nice work! Also a very nice job on the boat :D I built a "Portuguese Style Dinghy" from plans I found at Hannu's Boatyard website. It's a fun little boat, but I swear I think I spent more time working on the oars :)
Thanks
Yup I have 40 bucks into the oars and about 8 hours work. I could have bought a set for 100 and spent more time brewing.

How did you plan for your bar in your home? I need some of the models of bar to build in my house.....

Nice work on the concrete. I also like the 50's fridge next to the 50's metal sink base. I turned a sink base like that (without the sink) into a rolling work table in my studio.

Hey thanks again I forgot about this thread.

I planed the bar by pouring a cold one and laying out a few 2x4's. I knew I wanted storage space for the wine fridge and my carboys so that is what I built in first.
I got on line and checked what was reccomended for counter and bar heights and then made mine even taller because I forgot to subtract the height of the concrete but I like it that way.
As far as finishing I wet-sanded by hand the smooth stuff off.

I stained it using root killer to give it the blue green color.

I rubbed pure Carnuba car wax in to the surface then melted it with a torch.

It has a rough surface but that was the plan, I like to be different. Most people love it only one has said they prefer the smooth surface. I have only chipped one glass on it as well
It's kinda funny everybody runs there hands on it the whole time they sit there.

Make sure you use the 5000psi sacrete. I made a smaller drainboard using the regular stuff and it did not turn out nearly as well.

I'm a mason by trade and looks like you did a great job! I've never done a bar top (Bricks/blocks and flat work - besides table tops lol)
I've been wanting to do one of my own but don't want to spend the time/$$ on this house at this time. Next house already has been set. (Brew room and wet bar) We will call it the Seirra Room (place I proposed to the wife).

Also has anyone done one that has a Tower opening... thats my plan!
Props to a great job!:mug:

Back