Belgian IPA Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lateknightucd

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a Belgian IPA kit from Midwest Supplies on deck and rather than use the dry yeast that comes with it, I'm going with a Wyeast slap pack. I'm debating between the following:

3522: Belgian Ardennes
1214: Belgian Abbey
1762: Belgian Abbey II

I'm leading towards the 3522 as I would like some esters but would like them balanced and not too forward and plan on a cooler fermentation than the 1762 would require to produce them.

Thoughts?

BTW, my ambient fermentation temps have been in the 68F range.

3522 gets my vote, but they're all good.

Chill as much as you can, and try to hold it in the low 60's for the first day or two, then let it ramp on it's own. A water bath is nice to keep the ramping from getting out of control. These guys can easily go 15°+ over ambient if left unchecked.

My vote would be for a saison yeast like 3711 or 3724. Saison yeasts work with IPA grain/hop bills incredibly well. One of my favorites is Stone's Cali-Belgique IPA, which is exactly the same beer as their regular IPA, but fermented with a Saison yeast. Of the ones you've chosen, the Ardennes would be my choice.

Just did a Belgian IPA with WLP550 (3522) and am enjoying it a lot. I fermented rather cool around 60 and there are some slight belgian esters there but not enough to conflict with the hops.

Don't know what your hop schedule looks like, but I'm fermenting a BIPA with 3726 that is 2:1:1 Citra:Amarillo:Centennial, 4oz @FO, 2 @ 10, 1 @ 20. The aroma from the airlock is heavenly, mango bubblegum would be the easiest way to describe it. So I say go with the 3726 while its available.

I made a Belgian IPA with 3522 amd it came out fantastic. The yeast produced a nice orange spicy flavor that worked really well with amarillo hops. The esters were nice and balanced. I fermented it at 62 degrees.

I have a belgian IPA with WLP 575(its a blend Chimay, Westmalle and Achouffe) kegged right now. Super interesting spicy and fruity. If you can get your hands on it, I would.

Moral of the story: Belgian yeast is good. Pick one and roll with it; it'll work.

Moral of the story: Belgian yeast is good. Pick one and roll with it; it'll work.

So it would appear! :mug:

I'm going to have to think more about temperature control on this batch. My basement is around 67 or 68. I figure if I cool the wort to 60 when I pitch and then place the fermenter in a plain water bath that should slow the temperature rise. But will that be enough? Any reason to put ice or frozen water bottles in? Obviously I don't want to stall anything but a vigorously fermenting Belgian yeast will throw enough heat to outpace a water bath right?

My vote would be for a saison yeast like 3711 or 3724. Saison yeasts work with IPA grain/hop bills incredibly well. One of my favorites is Stone's Cali-Belgique IPA, which is exactly the same beer as their regular IPA, but fermented with a Saison yeast. Of the ones you've chosen, the Ardennes would be my choice.

Saison is actually the recommended yeast strain for the recipe. Maybe I'll go that route or try to track down the French Farmhouse yeast.

I love Belgian IPAs and try to brew one once a month. Citra, Amarillo, and Simcoe have been my main hops. Most get down to 1.012.

WLP550 gave nice banana notes. Very cloudy and yeasty though. Prominant Belgian flavor.
WY 1762 produced my best Belgian IPA yet.
WY 3711 would be an interesting choice. Its very clean and doesnt produce a lot of "farmhouse saison" flavors like other saison strains do. It might also dry out an IPA too much, since it Uuber attentuative. Maybe mash higher or add more crystal. Hmmm... might have to use this one next! :D

Thanks all. As I ferment in my basement and don't currently have a way to actively heat the beer my concern with a saison yeast isn't runaway heat, it's getting the heat high enough to ferment in less than four weeks. If I pitch hot'ish (70-75) and wrap the fermenter in a blanket would that be enough?

So I've settled on either 3522 or 3711. My wife likes IPAs and farmhouse ales and since she's agreeing to let me build a draft system over the winter, I'm going to leave the yeast choice up to her. Assuming, of course, that I can get the fermenter hot enough to sustain 3711. Thoughts?

3711 isn't fickle about temperature. It will ferment out fine at your basement's ambient temperature. No need to pitch warm.

Haven't tried 3711 with an IPA yet, but have had EXCELLENT results with 3522. 3711 is one of my favorite yeasts, though, so rest assured that it will get thrown into a hop monster soon.

Thanks all, picking my burner up this weekend after a shrimp boil at the in-laws. Then to the LHBS for some 3711 and a brew day!

Back