Beer Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I would like some recommendations if anybody has one to give. I have been trying new beers out and would like to know if anyone wants to throw out some of their favorite brews to buy in the store.

Thanks in advance,

bama

Do you like a particular style? It would be pointless if lets say you liked only lagers and pilsners and everyone posted their favorite ales....One thing to do is if you like a certain style...like stouts for instance...is to try a bunch of different brands in the same style. Technically my favorite stye is the amber ale, so I am always trying different brands of it....

I'll list some of my favorites...or the ones that I go back to when I want something other than my own homebrew....

The Brewery's name is first.

Bell's Amber Ale (I like it so much I came up with a clone recipe for it and brew it often)
Rogue Dead Guy (ditto, Yooper's clone of it is the tits!)
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Rogue Shakespeare Stout
Rogue Chocolate Stout
Avery The Reverend
Avery Salvation Strong Golden Ale
Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale

That's all that comes to mind,that I've been drinking lately, that weren't my own....I've had a few others that were forgettable....

As you can see I prefer heavy ales, especially stouts.

If you look it this section of the forum you will find other beers listed that are worth trying, and I think there's a "favorite commercial beer" thread here as well...

Have fun!!!!!!

(I love trying new beers) :mug:

Stone - IPA, and their other beers
Firestone - Union Jack, and their other beers
Sierra Nevada - Bigfoot
Sierra Nevada - Celebration
Any and all Chimay's
Piraat
Young's - Old Nick
Young's - Chocolate Stout
Deschutes - Pale, IPA, Stout
Spaten - Optimator
Duvel
Most Russian River Beers
Most Rogue beers, their Imperial IPA is the ****
Alaskan - Amber
Ommegang - Hennepin, Rare Vos

Frankly, there are so many that I could go on and on. That should keep you busy for awhile though. I think I need to re-visit some of my favs also.

Cheers

Actually, I am in NW Arkansas for the summer, this is one reason I am trying to sample as wide a variety as possible. Alabama is kind of strict and behind when it comes to beer legislation.

In terms of styles, I am just trying to sample as much as possible while I can. Last week I picked up some Fat Tire, Red Hook's Longhammer IPA, and a Blue Moon Spring Ale. I enjoyed all of these to varying degrees with the Blue Moon and Fat Tire being very enjoyable and the IPA being decent. I would buy all of these beers again.

Frankly, I enjoy Budweiser and that has been my drink of choice through college... and before :D. I have read plenty of people's opinions about this beer and company. I do agree about some of these points; however, Budweiser has always been something I enjoyed drinking and will continue to do so.

Drinking craft beers is something new to me so I figured my usual method of:

1. Jump right in with some random samplings (I did see Fat Tire mentioned on here so I was excited to try it.)
  2. Defer to the pros for advice. This is the reason for this thread.

I would like to thank everyone for their input so far and welcome any new suggestions.

Thank you and Roll Tide,

bama

One good thing to do is to find a store that allows you to mix and match a 6 pack...Several beerstores in my town do, and I know the Trader Joe's Markets does as well. That way you can get a bunch of different beers for the price of a single six pack.

Also take notes of each of the beers...you can even use the Beer Judge Certification Program judging sheets which give you descriptors and areas to examine for each beer (such as aroma, mouthfeel, color, etc.)

You can download the pdf file of them here; http://www.bjcp.org/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf

Thanks for the recommendation on the sixers as well as the link to the scoresheet. I have just been keeping a running Excel file of personal observations.

bama

Thanks for the recommendation on the sixers as well as the link to the scoresheet. I have just been keeping a running Excel file of personal observations.

bama

Well, excel scoresheets, already eh? Seems like you are well on your way to joining us in the exciting world of beergeekdom...:mug:

There are a lot of threads in this section of the forum, where people review the beers they are drinking...you should share your observations and notes as well. It is a good way for all of us to expand our beer horizons.

For example, I haven't tried Turbodog (I don't even know if it available in Michigan) but having seen it mentioned in this thread, I've added it to my "to try sometime" list.

Beergeekdom, have not heard that yet and I was already smiling thinking it applied before I got to the K. Heh, I guess the Excel was a dead giveaway- I do spend too much time with computers (Programmer with aspirations to become a business analyst.)

I will just take Beergeekdom as a meaning that we build cool toys for ourselves :).

bama

Back