Have you used your home grown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lackofstyl

Reaction score
I'm brewing up an ordinary bitter this weekend with some fuggles I grew. I wanted to dry hop with some home grown as well, but I am a little nervous about that. Anyone else using theirs?

I just harvested and dried this years crop. I used up all of last years months ago mostly for flavour and aroma. I haven't dry hopped yet but would not anticipate any problems. Just do it!

Use them - why else would you grow them?

Some people are concerned because they don't know the alpha acid percentage of the homegrown hops. I calculate a recipe with gravity and IBU's in the midrange for the style. Keep detailed notes about the recipe and tasting notes when the beer is finished. Then you will know how to adjust the hopping rates in the future.

I use homegrown Nugget hops and calculate the IBU's using a 12% AA value. Likewise for Cascade and Centennial hops - I use a midrange value. Hasn't failed me yet.

I've brewed and dry hopped with home-grown and this year I've made a batch using some 'wild' hops from a neighbor's farm. Last year's turned out well and the Ditch Hop batch seems to be doing nicely.

Using the middle of the AA range for bittering calculations is a good approach. If you do that and aim for the middle of the style range, you really can't miss.

i had way less than i thought. we used 4 oz in our recent coffee porter and it took more than half of our harvest. i think we have enough for a pale ale and a hefe, tho :)

using for bittering is more risky than dry-hopping, so i'd say go for it!

i'm using mine for bittering in my dunkelweizen.

I've used a few oz of cascade so far in my APA, My next lager will see all my Hallertau go into it as I never got much this year...WAIT I got 10 oz of it so I guess it will take a little longer to use than I first typed.

I will be using some Willamette hops which a neighbor grew ... I promised him a 6 pack!

An amber ale - I will use them for aroma at the end of the boil... I must guess at the amount, as I do not have a scale...(although my roomate in college had a very accurate scale, and he was not weighing hops!)

Uh, yeah, my first-year rhizomes produced a grand fu*king total of 2 or 3 cones. Wonder what I should use them in :D

desertbronze said:
Use them - why else would you grow them?

Some people are concerned because they don't know the alpha acid percentage of the homegrown hops. I calculate a recipe with gravity and IBU's in the midrange for the style. Keep detailed notes about the recipe and tasting notes when the beer is finished. Then you will know how to adjust the hopping rates in the future.

I use homegrown Nugget hops and calculate the IBU's using a 12% AA value. Likewise for Cascade and Centennial hops - I use a midrange value. Hasn't failed me yet.

This is good advice. In the past I've reserved the fresh hops for late additions and bittered w/ pellets.

I still have some leftover from last year in the freezer, so from now on I'll try for the middle of the style and AAU range when I bitter with them.

If you're not a hop head you'll be one soon after using your own hops.
:mug:

Evan! said:
Uh, yeah, my first-year rhizomes produced a grand fu*king total of 2 or 3 cones. Wonder what I should use them in :D

That's 2-3 more than mine made. All 4 plants (rhizomes) died on me. Oh well next year!

Back