Now I feel like I belong here.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jukas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After 2 years of saving, and searching for a used one, I finally pulled the trigger on a new BGE.

sOQolUB.jpg

Got it all put together (which took far longer than I thought it would), and did a 3lb tri tip on it to test it out. I forgot how good meat done over lump tasted as I've been grilling on gas for the past 6+ years.

IeXAeQB.jpg

I'll do some chicken or maybe a pork loin later but I won't have a chance to actually smoke until next week when I think I'll do a butt. :D

Try spatchcocking a chicken (cut out the backbone and butterfly). Get the egg to 350 and leave the chicken on until the breast hits 158 (about an hour depending on the size) and take it off. It will glide on up to around 162 over a few minutes and it is really, really good. Unfortunately it continues to cook and while the leftovers will be good they will be over done a bit.

most excellent! Soon you may be experiencing what I did a couple of years ago, on a trip back to Iowa, sister's house, Thanksgiving, where I brought a couple of brined and low and slow smoked BGE turkeys, her comment "For 23 years I have hosted Thanksgiving and served my oven-cooked turkey, now you come along, and in one year ruin what I have done in 23..."

Did a smoked beer can chicken last night with a bit of hickory & pecan at 350ish for just about 100min until it registered 160F in the breast. I then let it rest for 20 min before carving it up.

I need to figure out how much wood is needed for a full long smoke. I used 1 big handfull of hickory chips and probably four small/med sized chunks of Pecan and it only lasted about the first 70 minutes of the cook. I'm guessing that even at lower smoking temps of 225-275 it would have only lasted a couple hours.

Also anyone have recommendations for wired/wireless temp probes? I have a wired Taylor digital thermometer I've already had to replace the probe once, and the replacement is starting to have issues afer only the second use. :(

Welcome to eggland!
The Maverick ET732 is the most popular one, they work great as with any thermometer just do not get water into the joint where the cable meets the metal probe and it will last for years.

mav_et-732.jpg

SuperiorBrew said:
Welcome to eggland!
The Maverick ET732 is the most popular one, they work great as with any thermometer just do not get water into the joint where the cable meets the metal probe and it will last for years.

Cheers,

Ordered one up from Amazon should be here tomorrow thanks to Prime.

Can anyone recommend any links or reading material to help a noob figure out how much wood chunks to add for long smokes?

Both beer can chickens I've done at 325F have burned through what I thought was an decent amount of hard wood chunks in relatively little time.

I set this one up for a brisket cook, I think it went for almost 20 hours, did some chicken and sides after the brisket.

On long cooks you want the bigger chunks of lump on the bottom and smaller as you go up.

8536077008_cd88de82cd_b.jpg

8536074690_d28b4bdb06_c.jpg

8534965237_61b5a7a757_c.jpg

Check out www.amazingribs.com. This site is so detailed on smoking yes, ribs, but pork butt, brisket, and many more. The page on brisket alone is a long detailed read but has made my brisket (BBQ tx style) almost as good as what I've had in tx. I love my BGE. My hard core BBQ buddies scoff at it, if you're not cooking in a giant metal offset then its not bbq to them but they are just paranoid. My neighbors often whisper to me my BBQ is better....

Oh and not to start fight like to secondary or not but... Don't soak your wood chunks. 😄

Back