Efficiency and Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals), what do you usually get as far as efficiency with batch sparging. I lowered my efficiency to 60% and increased 2 row by 2 1/2 pounds. Tomorrows brew I am going to try like hell to do the efficiency correct so I'll know the numbers for my system.

It's kind of a hard comparison to make as everybody's system is at least slightly different from the next person's. It's possible to get the same or better #'s batch sparging as fly sparging on some systems, and vice versa.

Personally, I say if you can hit 75% you're doing well. Anything above that is gravy.

I've only batch sparged twice, so I'm no expert. I got efficiencies of 78% and 80% This compare to about 85% with fly sparging, but the fly sparged brews were clearer.

-a.

Was actually thinking 2 1/2 pounds was a bit much to add.... the LHBS guy thought it would do the job. So when I added the malt and played with the number the efficiency turned out to be 60%. Hmmm..... Gravity is 57 points and it's an IPA so I suppose if the efficiency is off a bit I could use the extra points anyways....

I have batch sparged for a while now and have nailed my efficiency at about 80%. That is for anything under 1.05 OG. Once I go over that, my efficiency drops like mad, 60% if not lower. I still haven't been able to figure out a good scaling between OG and efficiency, some guesstimation and some sugar have made up the difference in the boil.

I consistently get over 80% for all barley beer. For wit (50%) I get closer to 70 from the upper side. Usually I do 2 step decoction mashing.

About 75-80% for AG. Mini-mashes run 85%. I haven't done an all grain over 1.065, but I suspect I'd lose some sugar. I figure the time I save is worth the slight reduction.

66-78% batch sparging, whereas on the fly I seem to always be around 70-75%. That's in the bug-juice cooler and SS hose braid.

Vermicous said:
I have batch sparged for a while now and have nailed my efficiency at about 80%. That is for anything under 1.05 OG. Once I go over that, my efficiency drops like mad, 60% if not lower. I still haven't been able to figure out a good scaling between OG and efficiency, some guesstimation and some sugar have made up the difference in the boil.
Are you increasing the volume of your batches for your high-gravity batches? Just like with fly-sparging, you'll need to collect more volume with batch sparging to get all the sugars out of a high-gravity mash. Each batch of water can only "carry" so much sugar for a given volume, and when your sugars exceed that you need to increase volume or even add a 3rd batch.

Back