How can you wait so long for mead to finish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I read how guys let it age for 2 or 3 or ? years. Sheesh, doesnt that drive you crazy? Do you just make small batches every few months or so, and just rotate?

Not when one realizes the difference this type of aging has on the flavor profile. So while one waits, they make other beverages: beer, wine, cider. They fill-in the gaps nicely... ;)

Like everything else worth waiting for, it takes time to build your cellar. When I first began I constantly had something going in the primary. Now I make five gallon batches every 3-4 months and I have at least 250 bottles of over a dozen different meads - some of which are over 6 years old. After you get to a certain point you really cannot consume everything you make and that, above all else, keeps you from drinking it right away.

Like everything else worth waiting for, it takes time to build your cellar. When I first began I constantly had something going in the primary. Now I make five gallon batches every 3-4 months and I have at least 250 bottles of over a dozen different meads - some of which are over 6 years old. After you get to a certain point you really cannot consume everything you make and that, above all else, keeps you from drinking it right away.
I'm right behind you...in inventory...;)

Always keep a few going, that way some are ready while others are still aging. Make some quicker meads and cysers, they tend to be drinkable earlier while the GOOD STUFF ages out properly.

Personally, I doubt I'll have anything last over the 1-2 year mark. If it's good, I'm drinking it. That's why I make it. I do not want to be in a spot where I'm drinking this 7 yr old mead and going, "this aged beautifully and is the best mead ever" - only to find it's the last bottle and I need to wait 7 years to get back to that point again.

Screw that. I make this to DRINK. It's like collecting guns. I don't see the point if you're not gonna shoot em. Mead's the same way. :)

My situation is quite simple. I don't drink much. The majority of my brew is given away at parties that I go to and freinds that wish to barter for it. I love making it but I am not a big drinker. I maybe consume 10-12 bottles a year and that is 12 oz bottles. I hope to have a large stock in 20 years or so. I am keeping at least 1 six-pack of each brew I make. I will drink them when I retire. Hell of a retirement plan. Dozens of diffrent types of mead to drink. Leaving maybe one bottle as inheritence and my brewing equipment.

Like others have said, you have to build up your inventory. I started out with a five gallon batch. It cleared after 3 or 4 months, I bottled and started another batch. Four months later, half the first batch was gone, I bottled the next batch and started up on a third.

Eventually, you're only drinking a couple bottles or of each "green" batch and most of it and the rest is aging. And the stuff that has already aged is so good you are able to keep your hands off the young meads.

Not all meads take so long. You could mix up your inventory--do some Joe's Ancient Orange or some of the other quick meads along with some longer-aging recipes. Once you get a pipeline going, then you will have an idea what to make next to fill in any gaps and a steady supply of meads that are just coming into season.

1. Drink beer in the mean time.
2. Make some quick finishing meads
3. Always have multiple going
4. Have another hobby :D

Young mead tends to taste like crap (not that I've ever actually tasted crap mind you) and knowing that helps to leave it alone, though I always have a taste at racking to see how it's progressing. Just yesterday I tasted a cyser that has been bulk aging for 2 years; another year & it might be ready to bottle and/or drink. Good things come to those who wait. ;) Regards, GF.

I wait because it is necessary. I brew to enjoy and drinking anything prematurely reduces the enjoyment. I'll be kegging a 15% blackberry wine this week. It will be a year before I bottle it. But I'm tossing a 6% blackberry cider on the cake and expect to be drinking that by January.

Latest posts

Back