Torrified Vs. Flaked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

When is it appropriate to use torrified vs. flaked wheat/oats?

Is there a difference in their utilization based on beer style? Does one produce more fermentables than the other?

thanks!

Flaked are pregelatinized which allows for the starches to be readily accessible by enzymes in the mash. Torrified is heat treated, sorta like blown glass, and it allows for the malt to be wetted more quickly, which also decreases conversion time and provides higher yield. Flakes also contribute less color, but torrified claims to improve head retention.

I don't think oats are available torrified, just wheat and barley. Torrified wheat is used in British pale ales for head retention, according to some sources. Oat flakes also apparently have slightly lower yield. Almost all oats made for brewing are from UK suppliers - Simpson's, Fawcett, etc.
I'd say they're both great!

Also, what is the big difference between flaked oats and rolled? I think it has something to do with rolled not being malted and requires a cereal mash, but have been wanting to confirm.

Back