Using Orval Dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phished880

Reaction score
I have a beer kegged (monk mood) that is 100% pils malt and used Wyeast #3787. FG 1.012
not sure if you need this info, but figured it doesn't hurt.

I decided to take some orval dregs, which I had saved and grown, into about 6 bottles with a turkey baster. I then filled and capped them....

Can I expect to get some Orval funky goodness over time in these bottles?
How long should I wait to begin sampling?

Has anyone tried something similar before? Was it good?
Should I bottle some more?

Thanks,
J

I did an enkel with harvested Orval just over 9 months ago. The funk is just starting to become noticeable.

Did you only use Orval yeast or did you supplement with something else? And is it still in a carboy or is it bottled and if bottled, is it drinkable?

Did you only use Orval yeast or did you supplement with something else? And is it still in a carboy or is it bottled and if bottled, is it drinkable?

It was fermented with 100% pure Orval yeast. Bottled at the 6 month mark and is now in the cellar. Opened the 1st one at the 7 month mark and it was wonderful. Nice banana esters with just a hint of brett funk. I opened another bottle a couple weekends ago at the 9 month mark and now you can tell the sour is coming through. I'm guessing it'll be the 12-18 month range before this beer reaches its full potential.

Nice. I've been looking for another long term project now that my pLambic is almost gone.

I was thinking of modifying my Grand Cru recipe and pitching with a starter of Belgian yeast and a starter of Orval.

You will eventually get the funky goodness.

I pitched a vial of Brett Brux on a my Bastogne Pale Ale in the beginning of May and was disappointed after a month and a half to not see a pellicle or smell any funk. So I pitched two bottles worth of Orval dregs on to it. A creepy pellicle bubbled up after a week and the funk aroma increased tremendously. I'm at the two and a half month mark since the intial brux addition, and it tastes ridiculously earthy, dirty, and spicey. I'm letting it go for another 5 months. We'll see what 2010 brings.

This is a very interesting thread although it is a few years old. Over the past few days I have been collecting dregs from some Saison Dupont so I am but not sure what to do with it. The bottle says this beer is unfiltered so I really want to try some type of experiment

I have a beer kegged (monk mood) that is 100% pils malt and used Wyeast #3787. FG 1.012
not sure if you need this info, but figured it doesn't hurt.

I decided to take some orval dregs, which I had saved and grown, into about 6 bottles with a turkey baster. I then filled and capped them....

Can I expect to get some Orval funky goodness over time in these bottles?
How long should I wait to begin sampling?

Has anyone tried something similar before? Was it good?
Should I bottle some more?

Thanks,
J

necro-advice, but just in case anyone else reads this: i would be quite concerned about bottling a 1.012 beer with brett, as @niquejim pointed out. that's a lot of residual sugar for the brett to chew through. over-carbonation or even bottle bombs are a possibility. personally, i would have waited longer for the gravity to drop... i typically wait until 1.004 or lower. and even then, i always bottle sours and brett beers in thick glass bottles.

Over the past few days I have been collecting dregs from some Saison Dupont so I am but not sure what to do with it. The bottle says this beer is unfiltered so I really want to try some type of experiment
go for it! you'll need to grow up those dregs quite a bit, given how few viable cells there are in each bottle (unless you got something really fresh). use several steps and start small - like 100-200 mls of 1.020 wort. also, there is no brett in Dupont, only sacch.

Back