How do I know if it's working.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frijole

Reaction score
I just bottled my first brew and the FG was 1.020, how do I know if the beer is getting carbonated? Is there any way to tell? And, is 1.020 high?

Yes, wait 2 weeks and open ONE and see if it's ready. Then, wait another week and then start in on the batch.

I didn't check the OG unfortunately. But the kit I used said it should be 1.061, but who knows.

When you're bottling, fill a a sanitized plastic soda bottle to the top while you have it squeezed tightly (dented with opposite sides touching). Cap it and store it with your other beer. Over the following week you'll notice it expand to where it gets good and hard to squeeze.

should i be worried that it will not carbonate? or does it usually work? :drunk:

The FG seems to be on the higher end, but if your OG was on track with the kits prediction, your looking at 5.12%, not bad.

It almost always works. In fact, with the FG being 1.020, it may work a little too well. How long was it at that reading?

not sure, I left it in the primary 15 days. Only took one reading.

Well, if you didn't take a couple of readings over several days, it might be just fine. Or, after a couple of days, it might have fermented a few more points. Hard to say.

If the bottles don't explode, they're probably fine. I'd check them in a week or so. Chill one for 24 hours and see how it is.

Back