pre-boil hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkbob

Reaction score
ok, one of the books i have call for an addition of hops before the boil in virtually every recipe in the book. the way i understand it, this amount of hops goes in the kettle and then the wort is added to it from the lauter tun. it therefore sits in the wort while the lauter tun drains, and the whole time the wort is warming up to boil. this addition is supposedly responsible for flavor, as bittering hops are added actually at hot break. can anyone (possibly someone with german experience) explain the difference from this system to that of adding flavoring hops at 30 minutes before cooking-end. does anyone here use this method?

I'm almost positive the good BrewPastor posted a thread on this (First Wort Hopping or FWH) last week or so...search on his threads and I bet you'll find it. I just can't remember well at the moment.

Back