How to convince the wife i need a freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let DW find the note from your girlfriend, the one where GF says she "will leave you if you spend any more money on brewing equipment!!!" The three exclamation points really makes it work.

Mine just showed up in the basement one day. Craigslist $50.
Yeah, it might have seemed like a good deal, but the upkeep on a wife is what really costs.

Ahahahaaa! You guys are hilarious. I do like the responses that just say get it and deal with it after, I think that may be the best idea. I was talking to her dad today and he said he bring me one when one became available so it seemed like the rules may have changed slightly.

****... Your FIL is bringing you a free freezer, you are golden. "Honey, you know since he retired he's been looking for stuff to do, I thought we might get some bonding time out of this"

I've been brewing since August, just started partial mashing and, being in Texas, have had moderate success with temp control. It's been cool lately, 65 in the house, and the last three beers have been great, and it's got me thinking how much better my beers could get if I had a better way to control my temps. Is there anything that you have said or done to be able to sway your spouse , who doesn't care for beer, that allowed you to get the green light to put a freezer in the house that is used solely for brewing purposes? I use a swamp cooler currently and I really don't see too much difference as far as taking up space goes. How much does it affect the electric bill? I can get a freezer for free, that's not the issue, I just feel like I need to put it in a way that she can feel like she is benefitting from it as well. Case in point, I am having a diaper party barbecue soon, we are expecting our second child, and she said that if I buy beer I can't buy craft brew, I have to buy lonestar or blue ribbon, and I said "how about I spend tem more bucks and get twice as much beer with more flavor that I get to make?" To which she said ok. Am I on the cusp of convincing her you think? Or should I just stick to the swamp cooler and brew farm house type beers all spring and summer?

I understand the need to keep the peace, believe me, but you can usually find a used chest freezer on craigslist for less than $100. If you want a new one you can the 7.0's on sale occasionally for $150-180 depending on where you live. You'll want to get a temperature controller for it - the digital ones go for around $80. Honestly, this is going to be the best investment you can make in your brewery and if you are serious about brewing as a hobby than I really recommend you purchase it. Honestly, the electrical cost is not noticeable and it doesn't take up a big foot print in the garage/basement. If you can convince your wife you're saving cash for it by cutting up more frivolous spending, than I think you can make a solid case.

Why not put it in the garage? My wife didn't care about the free chest freezer I got from a neighbor or the $30 temp controller. Her only stipulation was she didn't want it in the house taking up usable space.

Since mood swings during pregnancy are a daily occurrence (at least with my wife they were) I think picking the right time to discuss is critical. Catch her in a good mood and your more likely to convince her.

Why not put it in the garage? My wife didn't care about the free chest freezer I got from a neighbor or the $30 temp controller. Her only stipulation was she didn't want it in the house taking up usable space.

Since mood swings during pregnancy are a daily occurrence (at least with my wife they were) I think picking the right time to discuss is critical. Catch her in a good mood and your more likely to convince her.

OP says he doesn't have a garage.

Also, I understand that she might not want to have an ugly thing like a freezer in the living areas of the house.

Have you thought about making a nice wood finish cover to make it look nice? A small freezer with woodie mod would look great imo.

And to rub it in, I have an upright freezer in the garage fermenting an Amber Ale, a spare fridge that was used when I thought I needed a second unit for lagers, and the wife decided our new fridge has enough freezer space that we don't need the small chest freezer in the back room. Plus I have a small fridge for a kegerator...

I plan to find a home for the fridge in the garage, and take the Coke machine to it's new home, and I'm trying to decide what to do with the small chest freezer.

I probably spent $150 total for the ferm chambers. The kegerator was new and a bit on the spendy side compared to CL finds...

Me: Honey, the 5 cf freezer can only fit two corny's.
Her: Then lets get one but it has to be new.
Me: OK, lets go shopping :) Later that day :D

I put a kegerator in our breakfast nook when we moved, my wife said and I quote: "You should get a chrome tower for the top of that, I think it would make the nook look like a little bar."

how I got my freezer

Wife: where are you going?
Me: found a chest freezer on craigslist for 50 bucks, ill be right back.
Wife: drive safe

Is it possible to keep the freezer on the back patio? Then slowly move it into the house and inch at a time for 6 months or so?

DenverUSMC said:
I put a kegerator in our breakfast nook when we moved, my wife said and I quote: "You should get a chrome tower for the top of that, I think it would make the nook look like a little bar."

how I got my freezer

Wife: where are you going?
Me: found a chest freezer on craigslist for 50 bucks, ill be right back.
Wife: drive safe

Is it possible to keep the freezer on the back patio? Then slowly move it into the house and inch at a time for 6 months or so?

I might be able to put it on the back patio, but I'd be concerned about the Texas heat in the summer, it gets really hot. Of course, if I had a garage or a shed this would not be an issue. I am serious about brewing and the last few batches I used a swamp cooler quite effectively, producing some great results, so I can see the freezer making everything that much better. The wood covering isn't a bad idea, it could basically be like another counter top space. I would really only need to get into it once or twice a week anyway. Thanks for the help everyone!! This may actually happen. She is mad today though, so not a good day to ask for it again, but I gave her a back rub to get the mood right for maybe 3 days from now.

sundaypapers said:
I might be able to put it on the back patio, but I'd be concerned about the Texas heat in the summer, it gets really hot. Of course, if I had a garage or a shed this would not be an issue. I am serious about brewing and the last few batches I used a swamp cooler quite effectively, producing some great results, so I can see the freezer making everything that much better. The wood covering isn't a bad idea, it could basically be like another counter top space. I would really only need to get into it once or twice a week anyway. Thanks for the help everyone!! This may actually happen. She is mad today though, so not a good day to ask for it again, but I gave her a back rub to get the mood right for maybe 3 days from now.

Many freezer will hold up to 110 degree heat. I lived in San Antonio so I am aware that 110+ is a real possibility. If you can give it some shade and its used or free I would roll the dice on it.

Back