Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe beer shaved ice is the next big thing. Freeze and shave some beer, then put flavored syrups on them. You could do an IPA syrup, a hefeweizen syrup, a jalapeno syrup...:fro:

I want rainbow flavor! Put them all on!

Oh no. Why do I feel a "well, actually" coming up? ;)

Because 'yuppy d-bag' was probably exactly right (assuming there were late hops in the recipe).

Some hipster in the local supermarket, buying 2x 4 packs of Miller "I love these imported American beers, they're so much more hoppy and complex than the ones they make here"

1. It's not imported, it's contract brewed in the EU
2. It's as least as watery and ****e as any of our domestic beers, and nowhere near as "complex" as some of the decent continental beers we can easily get hold of.

Goddamn hipsters.

I was in BevMo yesterday browsing the craft selection and a Budweiser rep comes up to me and says that one day AB/InBev will own all craft breweries. Apparently they are in the works to buy New Belgium, and Lagunitas.

He also said that craft beer is bad for the beer industry because beer consumption and sales are actually down because the ABVs are higher so people can't drink as much.

I wanted to give him a lesson but then remembered that he worked for AB and obviously likes fizzy yellow piss beer, so I grabbed some DFH and The Bruery bottles and walked away.

I was in BevMo yesterday browsing the craft selection and a Budweiser rep comes up to me and says that one day AB/InBev will own all craft breweries. Apparently they are in the works to buy New Belgium, and Lagunitas.

He also said that craft beer is bad for the beer industry because beer consumption and sales are actually down because the ABVs are higher so people can't drink as much.

I wanted to give him a lesson but then remembered that he worked for AB and obviously likes fizzy yellow piss beer, so I grabbed some DFH and The Bruery bottles and walked away.

I would have said:

Sure dude, what ever your little brain thinks.

(Walks away).

I'd hate to see Bud become the next Beatrice. We have laws against monopolizing,but they're tossed out the window of the speeding delivery truck in a hale storm...

I'd hate to see Bud become the next Beatrice. We have laws against monopolizing,but they're tossed out the window of the speeding delivery truck in a hale storm...

As much as it is a scary thought that one corporation can and does control so much of an industry, I feel that the LOCAL nature of craft brewing precludes it ever being fully controlled like the Bud Distributor suggested, because of the ability of small breweries to enter the market place. We get to choose where we spend our dollars or pounds, and as long as customers are willing to pay for craft beer made locally, there will be a place for it in the market. It's when we are willing to accept a less expensive beer from a megabrewery, "craft" or otherwise, that we vote for the big guys. Going public to raise capital for expansion exposes a brewery to the risk of eventual take-over. There are a few craft beers that I no longer buy because of their being in bed with Big Beer, like those of the Craft Brewer's Alliance. Now, if I didn't have excellent access to hundreds of locally made great craft beers within miles of my house, I might be less able to be so picky and "high minded".

This is a dated beer map, but interesting nonetheless.

It's been done? I'd love to try it and hear how it was done.
I can't find the threads I was looking for. This one's not bad though.

If I remember correctly, all of the experimenters have declined to comment on the finished product. That makes me think it's been turning out pretty awful. :)

As much as it is a scary thought that one corporation can and does control so much of an industry, I feel that the LOCAL nature of craft brewing precludes it ever being fully controlled like the Bud Distributor suggested, because of the ability of small breweries to enter the market place. We get to choose where we spend our dollars or pounds, and as long as customers are willing to pay for craft beer made locally, there will be a place for it in the market. It's when we are willing to accept a less expensive beer from a megabrewery, "craft" or otherwise, that we vote for the big guys. Going public to raise capital for expansion exposes a brewery to the risk of eventual take-over. There are a few craft beers that I no longer buy because of their being in bed with Big Beer, like those of the Craft Brewer's Alliance. Now, if I didn't have excellent access to hundreds of locally made great craft beers within miles of my house, I might be less able to be so picky and "high minded".

This is a dated beer map, but interesting nonetheless.

People will buy IN/Bev in a social situation because it is cheap. What they have at home may be entirely different.

I want rainbow flavor! Put them all on!

Because 'yuppy d-bag' was probably exactly right (assuming there were late hops in the recipe).
You know, if I had one of those ice shaving machines I'd put this on the list of list of stupid things to try. I'm not buying one just for one experiment though.

Leadgolem said:
You know, if I had one of those ice shaving machines I'd put this on the list of list of stupid things to try. I'm not buying one just for one experiment though.

Come on man take one for the team

People will buy IN/Bev in a social situation because it is cheap. What they have at home may be entirely different.

It is really hard for me to enjoy good beer when some co-worker/friend/whatever is being really annoying in a social scene.

So I just pick something Sam Adams-ish. Still tastes good but I don't need to worry about examining the beer for future reference.

perhaps the funniest thing in this thread

View attachment 155904

Who were the judges?

Only one showed up.

NattyIceWarrior.jpg

At the brewpub the either day I heard ask the bartender for 'an IPA that isn't hoppy'. I had to hold back laughter, as I had a few in me and I'm kind of a smart ass by nature..

At the brewpub the either day I heard ask the bartender for 'an IPA that isn't hoppy'. I had to hold back laughter, as I had a few in me and I'm kind of a smart ass by nature..

So what did they end up getting?

I never buy InBev in social situations. I boycott it. InBev can never replace the local brewery experience. There's also just no way they will own all craft breweries. I'm sure they'll gobble up more and more though, but let's face it, New Belgium is almost not even craft brew anymore. I'm not sure what their volume is, but I hold them in the same regard as Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada. I don't really consider them craft brews, even though they may technically qualify.

If I've been able to buy that beer nationwide, in pretty much every supermarket for a decade, then in my mind it loses the 'craft beer' label.

Take Left Hand for instance. I'm not sure when it was founded compared to New Belgium but I think close. I can vaguely remember when I lived in Colorado we would stop off on the way to Ft. Collins and drink some Left Hand, but you wouldn't see it even in CO's Safeway's or Albertson's.

I never buy InBev in social situations. I boycott it. InBev can never replace the local brewery experience. There's also just no way they will own all craft breweries. I'm sure they'll gobble up more and more though, but let's face it, New Belgium is almost not even craft brew anymore. I'm not sure what their volume is, but I hold them in the same regard as Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada. I don't really consider them craft brews, even though they may technically qualify.

If I've been able to buy that beer nationwide, in pretty much every supermarket for a decade, then in my mind it loses the 'craft beer' label.

Take Left Hand for instance. I'm not sure when it was founded compared to New Belgium but I think close. I can vaguely remember when I lived in Colorado we would stop off on the way to Ft. Collins and drink some Left Hand, but you wouldn't see it even in CO's Safeway's or Albertson's.

Still don't seen new Belgium in supermarkets here... Nor Sierra Nevada.

They happened to have a Belgian Pale Ale on tap. Which, as the bartender gave it to him he could see me smirking and when it was the Belgian I gave him the,' good call' look. He's a great bartender and is always smiling and laughing. Which can be annoying, but he's good. It was a Mackinaw Brewpub in Traverse City here.

Oh and, where do you live? Those guys have nationwide distribution contracts. If you don't have it, you could get a place to order it or stock it, if you were buying it. Well, I'm assuming you're in the US.

They happened to have a Belgian Pale Ale on tap. Which, as the bartender gave it to him he could see me smirking and when it was the Belgian I gave him the,' good call' look. He's a great bartender and is always smiling and laughing. Which can be annoying, but he's good. It was a Mackinaw Brewpub in Traverse City here.

Oh and, where do you live? Those guys have nationwide distribution contracts. If you don't have it, you could get a place to order it or stock it, if you were buying it. Well, I'm assuming you're in the US.

Alabama. Can get just about whatever I want at my fav craft beer/wine/homebrew store though. Aka Hop City.

You are such a hipster.

I really thought everybody by now, including or especially an AB/InBev Rep, would understand how much higher the profit margins are on craft beer, and would understand that businesses are supposed to maximize profit, not product volume. :confused: I guess he's just a *******.

I'm enough of a capitalist that I really don't mind if AB/InBev and MillerCoors buy up all the craft breweries (that they've heard of), as long as they don't screw with the recipes. And eventually, when they DO start screwing with the recipes, I'll still have plenty of options. Craft brewers will keep coming up with new stuff and setting up new breweries and giving me ideas to brew at home. :mug:

Ah, but Left Hand and New Belgium still brew some pretty good beers. And New Belgium keeps trying crazier **** with their Lips of Faith series. The results are mixed, but at least they're still trying new things.

And even though many of the "craft" brews in MillerCoors' Tenth & Blake division have gone down the tubes, or started there (looking at you, Leinenkugel's and Blue Moon), they've also got some amazing stuff in the long tail of their portfolio. I went to one of their monthly brewer showcases here in Chicago that focused on sours from AC Golden. Holy hell, they were good, including a traditionally-styled lambic.

Well you still wont see it or New Belgium in the local safeway or Albertsons since they can only sale 3.2 beer here

cervid said:
I never buy InBev in social situations. I boycott it. InBev can never replace the local brewery experience. There's also just no way they will own all craft breweries. I'm sure they'll gobble up more and more though, but let's face it, New Belgium is almost not even craft brew anymore. I'm not sure what their volume is, but I hold them in the same regard as Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada. I don't really consider them craft brews, even though they may technically qualify. If I've been able to buy that beer nationwide, in pretty much every supermarket for a decade, then in my mind it loses the 'craft beer' label. Take Left Hand for instance. I'm not sure when it was founded compared to New Belgium but I think close. I can vaguely remember when I lived in Colorado we would stop off on the way to Ft. Collins and drink some Left Hand, but you wouldn't see it even in CO's Safeway's or Albertson's.

+1...hipsters...walks away shaking head

I had an InBev brew last night. I could have boycotted them, but I would miss out on some really nice beers that they happen to make.

/Broad brush strokes are broad.

Matilda-Goose-Island.jpg

Well you still wont see it or New Belgium in the local safeway or Albertsons since they can only sale 3.2 beer here
California has no such limitations on what grocery stores can sell.

I've never been a big fan of the notion that the quality of a product is automatically in inverse proportion to its availability, anyway. You should be happy that craft beers and the standards by which they're made are reaching more consumers.... if Sierra Nevada or any other craft brewery increased their production ten-fold but kept the same quality, that would be a good thing.

Back