Need to crush 16# of grain, but no grain mill!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I ordered a bunch of supplies off Midwest, and after a few issues, my 11# of Maris Otter and 5# Halcyon came uncrushed. I don't have access to a mill to crush these, and from what I read, this is far too much for the rolling pin method. I do have access to a blender and food processor, which I gather would work for my BIAB, but I'd like to get a few more opinions. Anyone have any thoughts? It should be noted that getting a proper mill isn't really an option right now.

So, to summarize, I need to crush 16# of grain for a BIAB session with no mill.

Thanks!

Also I know that the proper mill isn't an option right now but what about a corona type mill? I understand that they can be found for less then $30.

You're screwed. You can use a coffee grinder and just grind for about 1 second each time you fill. Should only take 6 or so hours to crush it.

If you ordered your grains crushed and they came whole, the first thing I would do is contact Midwest and request that they resend your order. I understand they are pretty good about fixing these sort of mixups.

To use the grain you have, if you don't know someone with a grain mill, I would think you could put a pound at a time in the food processor and pulse it until you get it broken up. You might want to condition your grain first so the husks stay a little more whole. Another option is if you have or know someone that has an old cast iron meat grinder that might work. They usually come with different sized disks for the front and if you play around with it a bit you might get a pretty good grind.

You should be able to find something that works for you.

If you don't have a LHBS to mill it, you could double Ziploc bag the grain and freeze it until you find a mill. My LHBS will mill grain that wasn't purchased there for a small fee. I am fortunate that I have a few LHBS to chose from in Atlanta.

Yep, call your LHBS I am sure they will help you out even though you didnt buy the grain from them. We do it from time to time.

If a LHBS is not available how about taking it to a local pizza joint and asking them if you can run it through their dough roller. Those things make a killer grain crusher. Just tell the owner its for beer and I am sure they will help.

Cheers
Jay

So you have 16 pounds of grain at, what, $1.50 a pound? $24.00? Get some crushed grains for your recipe and hold those grains until you have access to a mill, I'd say.

I would try the blender of food processer, 1-2 cups at a time pulsing the blender/processor till all the grains are chopped, just try and break all the grains without making all powder. For the future, corona mills work well for the low investment IME. Shouldn't take too long once you get a little rythym...there is a post around here somewhere whereby a guy used a blender "all the time" and reported success FWIW...of course YMMV. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do...good luck!

I heard a guy one time, put them in a bag and rolled over them with his car. Not sure if it worked out for him or not. If you put them in a bag and placed it between two pieces of wood.. not sure that would work or not.

I see you're in KS. If you're near KC we can meet up some time and you can use my mill. It's a corona set up using some of the ideas from this site. I used it for my first all grain this past Tuesday and am pleased with how it worked. I don't have a drill set up yet, but 16# shouldn't be too bad. If you're interest send me a PM.

A blender will work fine. 1 cup at a time. Pulse for 2 to 3 seconds a few times per cup. It won't take long and you will get the feel for it. I had the same issue before. It will take you about an hour.

Personally I would contact midwest if you ordered crushed grain. If you did order uncrushed on accident, hold onto them until you can get access to a mill and reorder, as someone else stated. Uncrushed grain will keep for quite a while.

get a tamper tool and beat the hell out of the grain in a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. You can easily make one with spare lumber.

Start a charity drive and take pledges. If you get enough pledges, then crush each grain individually with a pair of needle nose pliers.

dump the bag of grain onto the driveway------>
Put on "Clogs" or tapdancing shoes------->
Play "Can't Touch This" and "Too Legit" while dancing like MC Hammer on top of said grains, wearing said shoes---->
????------>
PROFIT (and/or "Hammer Time")
:ban:

GarageDweller said:
dump the bag of grain onto the driveway------>
Put on "Clogs" or tapdancing shoes------->
Play "Can't Touch This" and "Too Legit" while dancing like MC Hammer on top of said grains, wearing said shoes---->
????------>
PROFIT (and/or "Hammer Time")
:ban:

Parachute pants required as well?

Pfft. You're not desperate until you've milled with your paper shredder.

Shredder_with_Hopper.JPG

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/paper-shredder-mill-203515/

That's a lot of f'ing grain to do it this way, but you can use one of the dough rollers. It is not the best grind, but I'll work. Get ready for a lot of sweating.

The first time I bought grain I forgot to have it ground at the store. By the time I noticed it they were closed and wouldn't open again until the following Monday.

Put a thin clean kitchen rag on a cookie sheet, a l ayer of grain over it, and another clean thin rag over the grain. The I used the roller to break it up applying as much weight on it as possible.

I never new so much sweat could drench down one's forehead.

Luckily it was only 1# of grain (it was an extract recipe) and a buddy came over to participate in the brewing activities, so we took turns to rest the back, shoulders and arms.

The brew came out great. God only knows how much better it would've come out had we had the grain crushed properly...

But hey, it worked!

Read this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/using-pasta-maker-mill-grain-75784/

then go find a Michael's and buy a "pasta roller" in the clay isle (print one of the easy to find 40% off coupons) I just got one for $14.99. I knurled the rollers, but you can just take a drill, run it in reverse, and mar the day lights out of the rollers. I wouldn't count on it long time, but for the odd whole grain "bargain" you'll get plenty of value out of it.

Some Walmart/Sams stores in the country stock Corona mills, and others don't. It would be worth checking your local stores out..

Back