Airlock dried up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatapain

Reaction score
I've brewed about 12 batches and never had my airlock dry up. I last checked it 2 days ago and it was fine, brew day was 9 days ago and was about to go to the secondary but found the airlock almost empty. Is this batch now contaminated and need to be tossed or am I still ok?

It should be fine. You the some pressure built up in the carboy that will help keep stuff out. I fill my airlock with vodka or bourbon to keep it from drying out.

Thanks for the help, I use water, never heard of using alcohol, will give it a try. The temp on my strip on the 5 gallon bucket has been very steady at 73 degrees.

is it in a basement? near a small dehumidifier or something? that would dry it out in 9 days depending on the size of the room.

Nasties on the air still have to follow the laws of gravity. And there is positive pressure in your fermenter from CO2 production. Sanitize and refill and you'll be fine.

It is in the basement, my daughter had moved it carefully but I realized she put it near the air intake for the central air, I moved it away and going to let it sit until tomorrow night then go to the carboy. The air intake may have been the problem.

Back