Accidentally froze Wyeast 3944. still viable??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
yup, froze my yeast when i got home from the LHBS. i was gonna thaw it, smack it and see if it grows. should i make a starter too after its consumed the wyeast packet??

Thaw it and make a small starter. The inner pack is just nutrient so you can break it and put it in the starter.

See how the starter goes then decide if you have live yeast then decide if you need to step up.

I make starters from purposely frozen yeast. I start from 10ml and make steps until the amount of yeast on the bottom of the flask looks like a starter from a pack.

Since you will have dead yeast cells in there I don't know how you will tell how much viable yeast you will have.

yeah,, i figured as much. ill just thaw it and make a 1 qt starter and prob step it up anyway. its for a pretty low OG semi sour wit. if it was a higher gravity beer id be more worried about it.

Back