What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed up the ESB with S-04 kit from Morebeer a couple months ago when pipeline filling. It was the first to kick! Got another one to brew up soon. Good ale with spot-on color & good balance! :mug:

I brewed up the ESB with S-04 kit from Morebeer a couple months ago when pipeline filling. It was the first to kick! Got another one to brew up soon. Good ale with spot-on color & good balance! :mug:

Mine was kind of winging it, based loosely on Palmer's recipe in How To Brew:

5 gallon extract batch

Fermentables
6 lb light LME
1 lb light DME

Specialty Grains
1 lb Crystal 80L
0.5 lb Carapils

Hops
0.75 oz Northern Brewer 10.6% @ 60 min
0.5 oz East Kent Goldings 5.0% @ 30 min
0.5 oz East Kent Goldings 5.0% @ 15 min

Other
½ Whirlfloc tablet @ 10 min

Yeast
Safale S-04

Expected OG: 1.054 Actual OG: 1.053
Expected FG: 1.015 Actual FG: 1.016
ABV: 5.0%
IBU: 40
BU/GU: 0.76
SRM: 12

Just for comparison's sake, here's the Morebeer ESB ingredients;
7lbs ultralight LME
8ozs crystal 40L
8ozs honey malt
4ozs special roast
1oz northern brewer @ 60 minutes
1oz EKG @ 10 minutes
1oz EKG @ 5 minutes
I re-hydrated the dry S-04 yeast packet. Just gotta remember to use only 1/2 the Whirlfloc tablet this time! I got a pill splitter that makes very clean cuts.

Had to get a new LPGas regulator from Blowes. Worked like a charm for this AM's brew day.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A bit cold & windy for finishing up cutting the template for my RBC bracket. We're so sorry, uncle Albert. But we haven't done a bloody thing all day. We're so sorry, uncle Albert...but the kettles on the boil & we're so easily drawn away!:D

I pulled my best winter beer out of conditioning into kegs and 2 strong head buzzes later

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/166250/brownsuga

WP_20141004_003.jpg

I brewed 7 gallons of a tweaked version of CYBI Dead Guy, split 3.5 gallons into two different 5 gallon carboys and pitched WLP090 San Diego Super yeast in one and WLP001 California Ale in the other.

I carb'd an Amarillo Bitter and stripped 24bottles of their labels for my Ten Fidy clone thats still in the fermenter

Bought a Blonde for her and some Bombers for the fermenting porter, I got to drink faster and then I brew faster. How does this end?:)

It's been a fun beer day today.
-ordered a grain mill off Amazon
-bought a small scale at Target for grain weighing
-tasted my Scottish Ale which had been bottle conditioning since Sept 9th and I am very happy with it.
-placed labels on 2 cases of the above bottles of home brew.
-racked a Wietzenbier to secondary on top of blackberries for my next brew
-currently drinking a Wheat home brew my buddy made and gave me a sample 6 pack of.

Cleaned this guy (craigslist find) out finally after a week of painting, cleaned all the taps and ball lock fittings, installed my new silver lining tubing, and getting ready to tap the first beer off my new system!!!

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

Brewed up a nice batch of an Irish Death clone. It was my first batch outside with my old stove and kettle. I am working my way to doing all grain soon. It was also my sons birthday so we had a family BBQ. It turned about to be a great day.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412575156.282279.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412575179.490897.jpg

Took a first FG sample of my dampfbier version 2 @ 11:22AM. It's down to 1.012 2 days shy of 3 weeks. The cool part is, though, that when I removed the airlock center piece to use the spigot to fill the hydrometer tube, it sucked back a little. The center piece had just settled all the way down this morning. Filling the tube, I saw that the yeast was only then starting to settle out. I never caught it at that exact moment before. Letting it settle out in the tube now, I'm seeing the light amber/orange color I was working on. The German beer institute site only had one pic of a commercial example & it looks like it'll be pretty close this time so far. :mug:

Flash was a bit bright, finally got it to turn off. Old friggin camera.

Looked in the drying rack this morning before work. Noticed my Starter Flask is breaking/broken. Annoyed. But at least now I have an excuse to get one that has a more flat-ish bottom and will not sound like a dice game when its on the 'stir plate'

Assembled the fittings on my new chugger, attached Camlocks to all my hoses, kettle and tun.

Did the first SG reading on my Honey Bee American Light. ABV is at 6.56%. Will check it again on Friday. If it's the same, will bottle Saturday.

Put a second step on my starter for Saturday's brew session.

Started with one 1056 Smack Pack into a 1750ml starter 3 days ago. That did well, so I cold-crashed it. Now it's all settled out at the bottom, I'm going to decant the top beer and add another 1750ml starter I just made.

By Saturday I should have about 500Bn cells to pitch into a 10 gallon batch of Dale's Pale Ale clone.

I've spent the last week planning out a year's worth of brewing (28 batches), which means charting how much malt, hops, and yeast I'll need. Also cleaning up all of my recipes to make them uniform. Itching to brew again but have to wait until next weekend. :(

Nothing...

I am off next week so I am debating whether I should brew an imperial porter, baltic porter, or maybe a saison (with a partial sour mash). Or maybe two different beers... I guess I could make 5.5 gal of the baltic porter, let it sit in the temperature controlled fridge, make the partial sour mash saison and ferment it in my warm room. Just need to make sure I am not using up a carboy I will need in the near future.

Picked up some S-04 yeast for the ESB I wanna brew this weekend. Got the wife a couple sizes of bottle brushes she wanted too.

Back