Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradzyw

Reaction score
Hi guys this is my first post on this site. I'm new to home brewing. I've just kegged my fourth and fifth brew.. One of the brews though had a film of crap and some clear bubbles on top when I took the fermenter lid off.. All my others to this point have been clear? Any reasons why this might have happened and will it be any good? Cheers, Brad

Welcome!

Probably nothing to worry about. Depending on the yeast, some krausen might not drop out. US-05 is one case that comes to mind.

Bob

What's US-05? It looked pretty festy!! I was going to tip it out!! But took a punt and kegged it..

Is there a chance that those white and clear bubbles might be mould?!

It was just weird.. The thin layer of skin was what threw me.. But the more I think about it the more those white circles looked like mould.. When I kegged it I syphoned it below the surface level to not suck up the crap.. Will it be any good?

It'll be fine. Don't worry about it. Let it carb up an drink it. Nothing in there will kill you. In the unlikely event it is mold, there will be off flavors. I have recently had the same on the top of my fermentor. They don't always ferment the same way. Different yeasts do different things. If the top of the fermentor looked like a white fur coat, then it's time to worry.

Back