AB In-Bev trademarking area codes..Is yours on the list?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet a new "Math Series" of beers. Just what I want in a bottle...MATH. Looks like In-Bev wants my number...They can have it IDC at all, because I do not buy or drink BMC.

I wonder if they will use the same recipe for '312' that Goose Island was using, except use water taken from the local supply.

It could be an interesting study in the way local water effects the final product...or maybe not...

This guy is in for it ....

1508.jpg

I wonder if they will use the same recipe for '312' that Goose Island was using, except use water taken from the local supply.

It could be an interesting study in the way local water effects the final product...or maybe not...

It'll probably be the same beer, except with a different label. It could be done more regional though.

It could still be branded as goose island, I think that's pretty cool for them to take that kind of effort. If they were just saying "617 brewery" - than that's lame.

I think whoever is running the AB-Inbev rat circus needs the a$$ beatin of a lifetime. Pound there sorry behinds within a quarter inch of their avarice ridden lives.
If I was the judge,I'd laugh in their faces & throw them out! WTGDF!!!!!!!!! If they get away with that one,they'll copywrite every animal name,every slang name...you get the picture. We little guys won't have anything left to name our brews if/when we go commercial.
This crap has just plain got to stop!! They are getting waaaaay to greedy,to the point where even a total moron will say,"WTF?".:mad:

Not to defent In-Bev too much, but I don't think they're just trying to trademark anything they possibly can (I didn't read the article by the way). Goose Island, which they bought recently has a beer called 312, and I'm assuming they will call it the different area codes in different markets.

I think whoever is running the AB-Inbev rat circus needs the a$$ beatin of a lifetime. Pound there sorry behinds within a quarter inch of their avarice ridden lives.
If I was the judge,I'd laugh in their faces & throw them out! WTGDF!!!!!!!!! If they get away with that one,they'll copywrite every animal name,every slang name...you get the picture. We little guys won't have anything left to name our brews if/when we go commercial.
This crap has just plain got to stop!! They are getting waaaaay to greedy,to the point where even a total moron will say,"WTF?".:mad:

:drunk:

Not to defent In-Bev too much, but I don't think they're just trying to trademark anything they possibly can (I didn't read the article by the way). Goose Island, which they bought recently has a beer called 312, and I'm assuming they will call it the different area codes in different markets.

Thats how I see it. Don't see what the big deal is.

That's part of the problem. Nobody sees it till it's too late. Not to call names or impune any of you. I just see this for what it really is. An excuse to wield more power. More control. They can just leave it at "312",since that name denotes where it came from originally. If it were me,that's sure as hell what I'd tell them.
I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw their bullet riddled corpses. It's the same corporate clone mentality from our government to the big bankers controlling them & big business. Damn,I need a beer...hey,wait a tick...isn't that what we were talking about? Dang,...I better have a shot with that...:drunk:....:tank:...:confused:...:rolleyes:

That's part of the problem. Nobody sees it till it's too late. Not to call names or impune any of you. I just see this for what it really is. An excuse to wield more power. More control. They can just leave it at "312",since that name denotes where it came from originally. If it were me,that's sure as hell what I'd tell them.
I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw their bullet riddled corpses. It's the same corporate clone mentality from our government to the big bankers controlling them & big business. Damn,I need a beer...hey,wait a tick...isn't that what we were talking about? Dang,...I better have a shot with that...:drunk:....:tank:...:confused:...:rolleyes:

why are you so paranoid? They're not trying to take away your homebrew.

I dont get why people are so scared of big corporations. A corporation, such as in-bev, is nothing more than a piece of paper. In-bev employs thousands of people, thousands of people have a chance to feed their families with their salaries, they offer a decent beverage at a cheap price, and create a profits for their shareholders, the majority of which is funds- which are people's retirements and life savings. They're not hurting anybody, they arent killing any babies or clubing any seals. Just like the individual bankers at Lehman were doing nothing than trying to feed their families. Nobody tried to bring down the economy.

The whole idea to use area codes, probably came from some regular guy, in St Louis, who makes 65k and can barely afford to pay for his house, wife and kids. Everybody is just trying to get by.

If you have a problem with Bud, and their influence they have on policies through their donations to politicians, then blame the representatives that you elected as their ultimately responsible for the laws they pass.

I have a problem with a lot of the actions of BMC trying to impede craft breweries, but I really don't see how this is the same?

I read about this story in the Chicago Tribune a couple of days ago. In the article is says that 312 is Goose Islands top seller and that it was the #2 craft beer in Chicago in 2009. Ever since I started home brewing I don't like Goose's Honkers Ale anymore and I think that 312 is a weak attempt at 3 Floyd's Gumballhead. I've never tried Bud's Wheat Ale and Shocktop doesn't do it for me. This must be In-Bev/Bud's attempted at trying to corner the craft wheat market. They are going to do what they do. Good luck to them. I can always make my own wheat ale and there are plenty of true craft options out there.

I don't see how they can trademark an area code. 412 means a lot to Pittsburgh folks. For an outside company to come in and market their crap with our own area code I dunno I think it sounds retarded and I hope it doesn't go through. I have belonged to 412DNB for years. It is something that means something to us. Not dollar signs. I think it sucks.

I dunno, not really a big deal to me - a waste of money for a gimmick. Anyone remember those college town color cans? The reason I feel its a gimmick? Because, even as the article says, seems like they are targeting beer-savvy towns. Which by definition would probably not be the cities to go after.

You can put any picture or name on a bottle or can, but that does not change the product inside. Even if someone buys something the first time because they were caught by the advertising, they wouldn't continue buying something they didn't like.

A lot of paranoia here regarding In-Bev. We all make our own beer, so what is the issue? Also, I think that the Craft Brew industry is continuing to grow. New Microbrewery's opening up here in Indy every month or two.

I thought you could not trademark numbers? Isn't that the reason for the change from ...266, 386, 486 to Pentium. So Intel could trademark the naem of their chip.

Didn't intel corp get in a fight about the letter 'e' ? ...as in, they thought they owned it... silly billy intel; everybody knows that Microsoft owns the letter 'e' !

How can anyone own something so riducioukls? Whoever owns that old letter 'e' ought be required to make reparation to the italians, they kinda invented the latin alphabet didn't they? (oh that's right, they stole it from those other folks that lived in the back lot... sumeria or something).

Now where did I put that numeral 1? Ohhh, yeah, you's guys stole it for your keyboards. Maybe I should get some money for that??? I mean, it's mine you know, as in, "you owe me money dude"!

:cross:

- M

ps. in case you're wondering, it's actually the letter 'i' which intel owns. *Sigh* Who would believe a company could own a letter like 'e' - it's so much more free and easy going.

Didn't intel corp get in a fight about the letter 'e' ? ...as in, they thought they owned it... silly billy intel; everybody knows that Microsoft owns the letter 'e' !

How can anyone own something so riducioukls? Whoever owns that old letter 'e' ought be required to make reparation to the italians, they kinda invented the latin alphabet didn't they? (oh that's right, they stole it from those other folks that lived in the back lot... sumeria or something).

Now where did I put that numeral 1? Ohhh, yeah, you's guys stole it for your keyboards. Maybe I should get some money for that??? I mean, it's mine you know, as in, "you owe me money dude"!

:cross:

- M

ps. in case you're wondering, it's actually the letter 'i' which intel owns. *Sigh* Who would believe a company could own a letter like 'e' - it's so much more free and easy going.

Is that why the letter i or e is never the letter of the day on Seaseme Street anymore :D Damn big corporations screwing with our childrens education and futures :eek:

Hmm, you would think they would add the St. Louis area code just for old times sake. Mine is actually on there, wonder if they are trying to get in on the San Diego county craft beer drinkers to drink whatever crap they bottle just because it has the same area code. ok yah, I'll probably try one :)

If I were a pro in any of the areas this affects I'd immediately release a beer named for the area code just to f*c& with the process. I'm not a lawyer but doesn't part of the application process for a patent require that there isn't already a product with that name? Or would the creation of the beer have to predate the patent application?

If I were a pro in any of the areas this affects I'd immediately release a beer named for the area code just to f*c& with the process. I'm not a lawyer but doesn't part of the application process for a patent require that there isn't already a product with that name? Or would the creation of the beer have to predate the patent application?

You are mixing patents with trademarks. Patents are inventions; trademarks are marketing adjectives. "312 beer".

When you put a "tm" on an adjective, you are notifying everyone that you intend to use this as a trademark. To get a "registered" trademark (the R inside of a circle) takes a bit more, and usually some time.

Beer companies apparently feel they can sell more by producing the same beer under different labels. I was in a supermarket on the west coast last week, and found two different IPAs I'd never tasted, so I bought a six pack of each. They were the same beer, pretty pathetic IPAs, IMHO, and both were brewed by Firestone-Walker. But different "brands".

I suspect this is the same thing, although I do think it's rather deceiving to use an area code, implying a localized beer, unless it really is!

Whether they will be successful is anyone's guess.

Lots of paranoia and confusion about Intellectual Property Law running in this thread. A few points:

Trademarks are always registered with respect to certain wares (goods or services) so when In-Bev registers 312 or any other number they will list "beer, beer glasses, tap handles" and about a dozen other similar items they want to protect. Then no one else may use the number 312 to sell beer or on those items but fear not the local boy scouts may be "troop 312" and "312 auto-repair" would still be permitted names. In-Bev does not own the number 312 outright but can merely stop others from using the number in certain situations.

Generally speaking you can't trademark a last name, word, series of numbers etc. because they are so common. In order to do so you have to show some use of the number and some association between the product and the number/word in consumers minds. This will be easy enough for 312 where they will be able to show it's been used in conjunction with the beer for some time, the other numbers will be more difficult.

Yes its a marketing ploy, In-Bev likely intends to create a new line of beers with these numbers and is stopping other companies from using the same numbers in marketing their beers to protect themselves against consumer confusion its kinda cheezy but not cheezier than a hundred other marketing campaigns I've seen by a hundred other companies.

on an unrelated point intel does not "own the letter i" rather they own the right to use a very specific font "i" and that right allows them to protect others from using that "i". This is VERY common in trademarks any company that has a 1 letter symbol has that particular font trademarked. Sports teams are a great example the Cubs, Reds, Red Sox, Bruins, Packers, Georgia Bulldogs etc. etc. etc. all have their specific 1 letter logos trademarked again they don't "own the letter" rather they have the right to use a very specific shaped letter and stop others from using it.

How about this:

WHO CARES ABOUT THE NAME. You guys must decide which beer to drink like SWMBO does, by the name!

I hope they go after 505. Then all of the little homies and gangbangers with 505 tattooed on the back of their head in this state would end up being unpaid advertisers. It would be a brilliant marketing scheme on In-Bev's part. They just need to put the numbers in Old English font. :D

Doog_Si_Reeb said:
I hope they go after 505. Then all of the little homies and gangbangers with 505 tattooed on the back of their head in this state would end up being unpaid advertisers. It would be a brilliant marketing scheme on In-Bev's part. They just need to put the numbers in Old English font. :D

Haha...that would be funny as there are quite a few of them, but please don't think that everyone in the 505 is that way.

The term "five oh five" used to be pretty synonymous with New Mexico. Now that they changed the area codes up north and down south...I feel sorry for all the homies in those areas with the stamp.

On the topic...I don't really care what BMC companies do, I brew the beer I drink 95% of the time. When I do buy beer, its because I take one of my empty cornies to a local brewery and have them fill it for me. The only time I purchase commercial beer is when we go to the lake or camping...at that point I'm shooting for quantity over quality.

buffalobrewer said:
Buffalo and Rochester (716 and 585) got locked up by Community Beer Works. They also joked about trademarking pi. article

GJ. I thought someone had a 412 beer but I guess not. There is a 724 but thats the sticks they probably don't want that.

Back