Too much sugar in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there such a thing prior to fermentation? I just started my 2nd batch of hard cider yesterday and used considerably more sugars than my previous attempt-- not sure why, just feeling adventurous I guess. My recipe is below-- what I am wondering is, given the yeast and the amount of sugar used (my SG was around 1.082) am I going to get vinegar... or jet fuel... or good cider?

4.5 gal pasteurized apple juice
.25 gal pure cherry juice
24oz pure clover honey
4lbs Dextrose
Wyeast #4766 cider yeast

Any thoughts, comments, criticisms, recommendations? Thanks!

Yooper-- very true. Apfelwine is fine with me (since that is sort of what the last batch was and came out excellent!) I just want to make sure that the large amount of sugar in my batch is not going to create vinegar (not sure what makes this stuff go the vinegar route at all) rather than wine/cider.

My first batch had an OG around 1.054 and dropped to 0.998 after fermentation. I think it was around 12% at that point and I ended up backsweetening prior to bottling (and consequently blew up about two dozen bottles trying to pasteurize them on the stove-- oops!)

Yooper-- very true. Apfelwine is fine with me (since that is sort of what the last batch was and came out excellent!) I just want to make sure that the large amount of sugar in my batch is not going to create vinegar (not sure what makes this stuff go the vinegar route at all) rather than wine/cider.

My first batch had an OG around 1.054 and dropped to 0.998 after fermentation. I think it was around 12% at that point and I ended up backsweetening prior to bottling (and consequently blew up about two dozen bottles trying to pasteurize them on the stove-- oops!)

Vinegar comes from bacterial contamination- acetero bacter to be exact. Proper sanitation, keeping the cider topped up in secondary, and an airlock will prevent contamination.

There is a point where there is too much sugar in solution for the yeast to ferment, I'm not sure what point that is. I know that if you were to put yeast into some honey, it wouldn't be able to ferment it due to osmotic shock (a much higher concentration of solutes outside of the cell when compared to inside of the cell).

Back