lid blew off... should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
Well at the moment I don't have a blow-off tube because I never ran into this problem. However after racking on top off yeast from my last batch, twice now the airlock has clogged up and the lid blew off of the fermenter. It had a shirt over it so it didn't really go anywhere but it wasn't sealed shut. How high are the chances of infection from this?

I just had it happen last week, I'm not worried, mine flew about 4 feet across the room. I had the lid cleaned, re-sanitized and back on really fast. You have to realize that if it is putting out enough co2 to blow the lid it's more than likely going to be pushing up enough to keep any airborn particles from falling in, and unless your pet parakete took that moment to fly over head and poop in your bucket, you should be fine. There's no gaurentees, but it happens a lot, and most of the time our beers survive.

No need to worry, what's done is done. You should get the supplies for a blow off tube if you can. If using a 3 piece airlock, remove the cap and the float, then attach some 3/8" ID tubing to the airlock. Insert tubing in a bucket of water. Be sure to check the tubing so it doesn't get clogged. Your beer will probably be okay.

It's always amazing how loud it is when the top blows off. I though my furnace exploded the last time it happened.

The one on Sunday, I think the lid hit the basement ceiling. It was so loud, at first I didn't know what it was. My girlfriend thought something hit the house or one of our cars, and went outside. I had a feeling, and headed downstairs.

I've had the lid blpw on my last two beers, both at my gf's house. And they both sound like gunshots.

This one the lid flew 4 feet, on my barleywine the lid blew, but stayed on, and the half full quart spray bottle of starsan went about 2 feet across the room.

If using a 3 piece airlock, remove the cap and the float, then attach some 3/8" ID tubing to the airlock.

IMHO I'd also suggest you cut off the little star shape tip to avoid clumping. Then I'd insert the end of the tubing in either Starsan or Vodka.

I don't even bother with the airlocks anymore. I ferment all the way with a blow hose in a gallon jug of water.

Back