long aged Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugenBrau

Reaction score
In 2007 I made 5 gallons of cider (Cotes de Blanc yeast and 2 lbs brown sugar) and it was anything but tasty. In fact it was decribed as tasting like the south end of a northbound horse. I have never used Cotes de Blanc since except in my Crannberry/Rasberry cider.
I was ready to dump it. I can't remember who it was but somone convinced me to not to toss it. So I went ahead and bottled 2 gallons still and carbonated 3 gallons. Last year I cracked one of the carbonated bottles and it had improved......but still not great.
Tonight I cracked one of still bottles and I couldn't believe it. It is fantastic. I am totally shocked. It is just as smooth as can be. It tastes like a chardonnay. This weekend I'll try one of the carbed bottles.
I also have 5 gallons from 2008(nottingham) a 5 gallons from 2009(safale US-04).
I am sure glad someone talked me into letting age. Don't throw your cider out!

Awesome news for you! I did the same with a porter I brewed back in '03, last fall I tried one and couldn't believe how great it was over time. You'll have to report back the differences the the Notty vs. US-04 cider. On a side note, I made a three gallon batch with Cotes de Blanc last fall, was my least favorite cider yeast I have ever tried. I should have let it sit like you did.

I also have 5 gallons from 2008 (Saflager25). It sucked at first. After a few months it was great......after a year it was terrible again. I'm just going to let it sit another year. Who knows what goes on it that carboy. I leave my beer in th eprimary now at least 3 weeks so the yeast can clean up after itself. I guess the same happens with cider. As someone wrote on here one time "yeast are great housekeepers"!

yep, I've had a few beers and ciders that where marginal to bad turnout good after a few months bottle conditioning

For a cider with no added sugar, what is the general time frame from yeast to drink?

I make a strait cider with nothing but frozen apple juice, fermaid-k and Nottingham. Its pretty decent at 4 weeks primary 3 weeks condition/carb... cheap too!

Mine is usually in the primary for 4 -5 weeks. I ferment at the lowere end of the suggested temperature spectrum. Right know I'm planning on fermenting until it hits 1.015 and bottle it, then let it carb in the bottle and try to pasturize according to pappers method.(see sticky). I'll report back how the different aging times effect the taste.

Back