reuse Grolsh bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutrvr32208

Reaction score
I found a guy that drinks grolsh and was saving the bottles in the back room of his house. He decided he didnt want them any more and put them by the road. He must have had over 200 swing top bottles and 300 cap style stacked up by the road. I grabbed 30 of the 4 packs of swing tops, and left about 60. Has anyone reused the swing tops and if so how do you sanitize?

If they are the same bottles that Grolsch use in Ireland then there should be a rubber O-ring, take this off and wash and sanitise (bottle, swing top and o-ring) as per usual and then re-fit the O-ring to he swing top.

The only thing to be careful of is that they are green bottles so make sure that you keep them out of the light or your beer could get skunked.

I would go back to this guy's house and grab all the Grolsch bottle you can. Check out Ebay listings for them - they darn near pay for beer that was once in them.... I use them often, just make sure the o-ring is in good shape. If not there are lots of site where you can buy new. Boil and sanitze before using as long as they are in good shape.

I use the green grolsch bottles and I also ended up with some brown ones. When I bottle I put half in flip tops for drinking only at the house and half in crown caps for giving to friends/family with no expectation of return.

+whatever. Take them all. A guy in my area is selling them for a little over a dollar a piece (very inexpensive) and should be worth your while if you don't want to use them.

I went through a summer of drinking Grolsch just to build up a small army of those half liter bottles. I don't think I'll ever drink that stuff again.

Hi I had some Hovel swing top dark green bottles given to me ,they look new took the labels off but not sure if I should put a brew in them ?has anyone else tried these before ,seem airtight

Yup - Just change the rubber gaskets and they work great! Remember - Green Glass in Sun light makes for skunky beer.

Back