Temperature Controlled Brewcloset with remote monitoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mista_Sparkle

Reaction score
Being that I am away from the apartment for Thanksgiving, I decided to get a batch of apfelwine going in the closet as to avoid the rhino farts. This idea had some problems however. Since I am away for 5 days, I didnt want to heat the apartment the whole time. I had an extra thermostat and a relay sitting unused on my desk so I decided to put it to good use. My roommate decided that he would steal my project away from me for some reason and rigged it together in a way which I hope does not short out and burn down the apartment however... anyway so now its a part of a box with the old thermostat, a 12v wall wart and 120V in and a switched outlet. I plugged it into a couple incandescent lights overhead and covered my beer and cider with some black shirts to block out the light. I also rigged up a webcam so I could monitor the temps and fermentation from elsewhere and make sure that the heat was running at appropriate intervals. It ended up being a pretty terrible camera, but you can kind of make out the temp on the liquid crystal thermometer and you can easily see when the heat is on as the picture goes white for a minute and slowly returns to a visible state. so far it looks like the "heater" is cycling for a few minutes every half hour or so set to 68 with the apartment set to 50 outside.

I would post some pics, but since I dont have the 25 or so posts, you can check out my pics of the closet at my flickr here or see the webcam here. The webcam is kinda slow and very grainy, but still pretty neat

Latest posts

Back