carb drops/tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrunner

Reaction score
i'm curious, anyone know exactly by what process these work? are they simply a priming sugar dose that is meant for a single bottle, and the yeast still do the same thing? is this some other from of co2 that will carbonate regardless of the yeasties. mostly i am wondering about time to carb with these versus regular priming sugar, and also would you be able to avoid the trub at the bottom of the bottle using these. i kinda want to be able to carb without the stuff at the bottom eventually, so i can give away bottles without explaining not to drink it all the way down. just curious, and want to understand how they work. thanks,
nick

Yep, they are simply a single bottle dose of priming sugar. The only way I know of to eliminate the yeast layer on the bottom of the bottle is to kill all the yeast, filter it out, and then force carbonate with CO2. It would require a kegging set-up, a counter pressure bottle filler, and a good filter system.

Many highly esteemed larger production microbreweries still sell beer with yeast on the bottom of the bottles. I just harvested some yeast from a delicious beer form Port Brewing. For many years homebrewers harvested yeast from store bought Sierra Nevada's.

Latest posts

Back