Dunkelweiss Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have not brewed a Dunkelweiss for a while. How does this recipe look?

6lbs Pale Wheat Malt
2lbs Dark wheat
4lbs Two-row Pale
2lbs Vienna
2lbs Munich Dark
1lbs Crystal 60L
2lbs Flaked Wheat

.5oz Magnum 10.1% @ 60m
.50z Hallertau 3.4% @ 60m

Wyeast 3068

I've never used dark wheat before.

Otherwise I think it looks pretty good. Although it isn't exactly to style I generally throw in about a 1/4 lb of Chocolate.

I think you can simplify your grist significantly and still have a world-class Dunkelweizen.

60% wheat malt (pale is fine) and 40% Munich and Vienna. What OG are you targeting?

I'll second flyangler's comment. My first Dunkelweizen had all sorts of stuff thrown in and it tasted like it. At the very least I'd ditch the crystal malt (though I tend to say that about most German-style beers).

I agree.. you could simplify ..

Use 60% Wheat .. maybe a little bit of Torrified Wheat . The rest Pale malt and a 2lbs of Munich.

You really only need 4 types of grain. Plain Wheat, Torrified Wheat (for head retention), Pale, and Munich (for color/maltiness). Although I have done a Dunkel before that had a bit of Crystal 20L in it, and it tasted fine.

OK, I updated the recipe based on the input:

9lbs Pale Wheat Malt
8lbs Munich Dark
2lbs Flaked Wheat

.5oz Magnum 10.1% @ 60m
.50z Hallertau 3.4% @ 60m

Wyeast 3068 (2 pkgs)

I really don't see a reason for the flaked wheat, personally. Head retention issues are best addressed through technique than extra ingredients - it's the same response I have for recipes that include Carapils.

60% wheat malt (pale is fine) and 40% Munich and Vienna.
Doesn't seem like that would get dark enough, I know these are traditionally decocted are you counting on color from that?

Also if not in a dunkelweizen, what would be a good application for these dark wheat malts?

Doesn't seem like that would get dark enough, I know these are traditionally decocted are you counting on color from that?

Also if not in a dunkelweizen, what would be a good application for these dark wheat malts?

Dark Munich would indeed provide the necessary color without decoction. Without running the numbers, I'd estimate somewhere around 15-17 IBU perhaps? No reason you couldn't add some into a Dunkelweizen grist!

As for the application of dark wheat malts, I use them in abundance in my Roggenbier.

Dark Munich would indeed provide the necessary color without decoction. Without running the numbers, I'd estimate somewhere around 15-17 IBU perhaps? No reason you couldn't add some into a Dunkelweizen grist!
I've never used dark Munich, I guess I didn't realize they made it that dark. Do you think it would get dark enough with regular munich in conjunction with a decoction mash?

My first and only DunkleWeizen was (5.5 gal batch):
5.5# Wheat malt
5# Dark Munich
.5# Caramunich II
and some rice hulls

and I did a decoction and the color came out really nice. Decoctions, when done right, generally don't add that much color.

Also, be aware of what Dark Munich you use. Domestic Dark Munich is often 6-row and around 18L-20L but Weyerman Munich Type II is 2-row and is only like 9L. Quite a difference if it's half your grist. IIRC, the stuff I used was Global (whatever Midwest sells).

Far from an expert - in fact, I've only got one brew under my belt, but it was a dunkleweizen and came out pretty tasty (as my first attempt, I went partial mash, but should be easy to adjust this to AG)

4# Munton's wheat malt extract
1.25# 2-row
0.5# Crystal malt
0.5# CaraHell
0.125# Choclate
1 oz Hallertau
1 oz Amarillo

Used Wyeast German Wheat. Might not be most traditional dunkle recipe (I was actually planning on doing a stout or porter but LHBS only had wheat extract in stock that day), but came out damn good.

What yeast are you guys using?

I'm going to make a dunkel of some sort for a midwinter party i am having.

Thinking for a 5 gallon batch roughly:

5# wheat
5#dark munich
.25# carafa II

Gets me 27 srm on the spreadsheet thing I use to calculate my recipes plus with only .25# of carafa there shouldn't be any roasty-ness/toffee flavors or at least that much.

Back