When to remove boil additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremysavoy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been doing extracts for a while and recently moved up to PM. So far I have always used pellet hops and have left them in the wort after the boild and the hops always settle in the primary over the course ofa week or so.

Today I brewed the "Orange Cascade PA" I found on this site, which called for 2oz sweet orange peel and 1oz corriander for 10min (along with 4 oz of cascade at various intervals, again I used pellets but do have 4lbs in the mail from hopsdirect.com and hope to use leaf from now on)

I went about my normal PM process, but found that after the boil as I was dumping the wort into my primary, my funnel got clogged with the corriander and sweet orange peel right as I got to the end of the wort. So, not a lot of the orange peel or corriander made it into primary.

I'm just wondering, should I be filtering all of the boil additions out anyways, or should I be leaving them in the wort? How will it affect the taste in the end if I filter it out, or if I leave it in?

Sorry for the newbalicious question, but I'm still learning the ropes here ... thanks and brew on !! :mug:

Opinions will differ on this and honestly I think its a matter of preference. If you REALLY have an issue with stuff getting into the fermenter, then rack your liquid off of the cold break. Some do this, but I personally like to make sure a good portion of the trub from the boil gets in with the fermenter. If there are any residual fermentables in that, the yeast will find them and eat them.
And after cold crashing it all goes to the bottom anyway.
-Me

Thanks for the answer ... I guess in this specific instance I'm wondering about the flavor profile of the sweet orange peel and corriander, since most of that did not make it into the primary.

Should I have transferred all of the sweet orange peel and corriander seeds from the boil to the primary, or should I make sure to filter it out next time I brew and how will that affect the flavor profile of the sweet orange and corriander in this beer?

Whenever I make a beer that uses orange peel... I use a small hop bag that can be taken out of the kettle before racking into the fermenter. Works pretty good and is re-usable.

Latest posts

Back