Beer2Go Rig inaugural event - Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I finally finished my Beer2Go rig and used it yesterday at a neighborhood brewfest. It worked flawlessly. It turns out I did not need to have the bulkhead for the mini CO2 Cartridge hanging on the outside so I removed it and put a plug in the hole. This way, no one messed with it and I occasionally gave the keg a couple hits every now and then. It took two 12 gram cartridges to dispense 3 gallons of Apfelwein.

Beer2Go-1.jpg

Here it is iced down. The blue thingy is the 4" shank (a 2" will work fine, but I had this from an old kegerator) that I wrapped in cloth and then blue masking tape to protect my Spartenburg Corny from getting scratched. I have 5 ft. of beer line to help in dispensing.

Beer2Go-2.jpg

Here's a shot of how much ice is left after 16+ hours. The keg is empty of course, but there's no need to ever add ice to this puppy even in this Texas heat.

Beer2Go-3.jpg

Here's the parts list for those who are interested. Using Austin Home Brew and Micromatic. All you'll need then is a 3 or 2.5 gallon corny.

Beer2Go-PartsList.jpg

alemonkey said:
That is very cool....I wonder if there's a cooler out there that would work for a 5 gallon corny?

Hmm. Sounds like an interesting project. Perhaps this cooler would work if you built a collar for it. Yeah, then you would not have to drill a hole in the cooler part.

I'll have to do some measuring and think about materials.

Any thoughts?

kornkob said:
You forgot to mention the price of those pretty product stickers.

Yeah, sorry, I did get the idea from your keg stickers the other day. Their lead time did not work for me, so with a little PaintShop Pro and a glue stick, I made these temporary labels. Pretty cool though. Great idea! Thanks!

kornkob said:
This one is lots more expensive but I wonder if it would hold a 5 gallon container.

I have one that I picked up at a garage sale for 5 bucks. It works great for 3 cornies. we used it last night and it holds ice for hours. Home Depot has it on clearance right now for $79.

KegCooler.jpg

kornkob said:
It just occurred to me that you could buy a 2nd Ice Cube cooler and cut off the bottom and use that for the collar.

Actually, for $39, that just might do it. It solves the hinge issue for the lid. The handle will be interesting to work around.

EdWort said:
I have one that I picked up at a garage sale for 5 bucks. It works great for 3 cornies. we used it last night and it holds ice for hours. Home Depot has it on clearance right now for $79.

Oooo--I'll have to see if my local home depot has any tomorrow.

kornkob said:
Oooo--I'll have to see if my local home depot has any tomorrow.

When you go, ask for "Captain Markdown" or something like that. There was a guy in a yellow hardhat who was wheeling and dealing on closeout clearance items.

I bet you could get one for $50 if you simply asked.

EdWort, is it difficult to regulate the pressure with the 12 gram cartridges? Is it pretty much just a "figure it out as you go" sort of thing. I think that setup Rocks and would be seriously interested in doing something like that.

Jason

Flyin' Lion said:
EdWort, is it difficult to regulate the pressure with the 12 gram cartridges? Is it pretty much just a "figure it out as you go" sort of thing. I think that setup Rocks and would be seriously interested in doing something like that.

Nope, just do a 1 to 2 second burst at a time and it's easy to figure out. You can see when the pressure drops, so you then give it a couple of hits and it's back to good dispensing pressure. I can always reinstall my bulkhead and use a bottle and regulator, but the convenience of the CO2 cartridges far outweighs the little bit of work maintaining pressure and swapping out a cartridge. Morebeer.com sells a dozen cartridges for $7.80, so I'll just toss one of those on my next order for free shipping and no tax. Well worth it IMHO.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out and it's going out again this weekend for the local home brew club picnic here in Austin. I'll be racking another carboy of Apfelwein in the next day so I can get it chilled. :rockin:

Back