new manifold design???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno

Reaction score
Checking to see if anyone has tried a PVC mainifold with larger holes drilled trough it and ss braid surounding the PVC? Not sure how well it would work and might have to try it unless someone has some insight on this method. I currently braid and get 70-73% with my lbs crush. I would think after I get a barley crusher I'd get a little better results. :mug:

I'll give it a try. My braids get banged up and have to change it every 10-20 batches depending on how crazy I get with my paddle. This idea seems like it would keep the braid in better shape.....and keep it on the bottom as well. I was thinking of 1/4" or 3/8ths Pvc drilled all over with #10 drill bit and braided sleeves covering the holes. I dont know.....need to think about it some more.:mug:

I made a manifold out of copper with slits from a hacksaw and it works great I put it facing downward

I'm pretty new to the AG game, but I don't see how a change in your drain method would affect your efficiency.

What's your sparge method?

Seems like you could adjust your crush and sparge method and get more eff points rather than your drain methods. (But maybe not, I'm asking)

I batch sparge and have been consistent with my eff %.....70-75. I think I will just get a barley crusher and see if that make a difference. Thanks for the replies. :mug:

Checking to see if anyone has tried a PVC mainifold with larger holes drilled trough it and ss braid surounding the PVC? Not sure how well it would work and might have to try it unless someone has some insight on this method. I currently braid and get 70-73% with my lbs crush. I would think after I get a barley crusher I'd get a little better results. :mug:

What's to gain from the extra complexity?

If you make the pvc to go on the inside... why cover it with the SS braid? I use just a PVC manifold and it works fine. And if I manage to crush the pvc, i would have bigger problems to deal with...

Note: Cleaning pvc is super easy, I just pull it all apart and throw it in the dishwasher.

Back