Sulfur Smell from Hefeweizen after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oswiu

Reaction score
I brewed a hefe a few weeks ago. It was all grain 50/50 wheat and pilsner malt, made with proper Bavarian hefe yeast harvested from an Emerson's Weissbier.
I bottled straight out of the primary after 13 days, and got a bit of protein (a white layer of sediment in the bottles on top of the yeast) in the bottles.

Figuring that hefes are meant to be drunk young anyhow, and since it had already carbonated, I got a bit impatient and tasted it today, 5 days after bottling, and it had a horrid sulfur smell. I understand that this is common for hefe yeasts, though I didn't really notice it during primary fermentation.

My main question here is, will the sulfur smell dissipate with some more time in the bottle? It actually tasted pretty good (maybe a touch bland, as it fermented pretty cool) but I'm not sure I'll be able to get past that stench if the yeast doesn't clean it up.

I've got a second batch of the same brew fermenting right now, and I figure I'll just leave it in the primary longer.

Anyhow any advice you might have, either in terms of dealing with the problem in the bottled batch, or for avoiding it with the next one would be most appreciated :)

I've read sulfur smells are common during fermentation. When you prime beer for bottling you are starting a minor fermentation to create the carbonation. After only 5 days you are probably just smelling by products of the fermentation that is giving you the carbonation. I would wait the proper 21 day minimum & see how it is then.

Just in case anyone comes to this thread with the same questions I had, here are some results:
After 3 weeks more in the bottle the sulfur smell has dissipated. There's still a touch of it in the beer, but it's no longer so horrid.
In fact, it really is just a tiny hint of sulfur, and is more interesting than objectionable.

Perhaps with longer in the bottle it would fade even further, but given that this is a Hefe, and other problems might arise if it was left to long, I'm drinking it now as is and quite enjoying it :)

Latest posts

Back