Did I get some wild yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionysos911

Reaction score
So last week I started brewing an IPA and it wasn't til after my wort was about ready to hit my new fermenting that I noticed the lid was not airtight at the seal. I figured I was far enough along I'd best try to MacGyver it then let the wort sit at room temp while I ran to the brew store. So I dumped the wort, pitched the yeast (Safale 04) then wrapped the top as best I could with plastic wrap. Throughout the week I could see krausen but no airlock movement so I knew there was an air leak. On saturday I got a new carboy so I racked into that. When I popped the lid on the original bucket it had a bit of a sour smell and the bubbles in the pic below. I will take Revvy's advice and ride it out but I am wondering if having my fermentor not being completely air tight caused this or would co2 been enough protection.

yeast.jpg

Right now it looks to me like that is just the last of the krausen and not an infection. I may be wrong. You have the right idea, though - just ride it out either way.

Looks perfectly normal to me. There is no need for an airtight lid, the only reason the lid is even used is to keep nasties from falling into the brew from above. It's not like they're crawling up the sides of the bucket trying to get in...

I recently bought a brand new fermenting bucket and even with the lid on all the way, it's not airtight enough to make the airlock bubble. No problems.

RDWHAHB

Back