Raw Sugar Cane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience using raw sugar cane? I was considering using chopped raw sugar cane stalk in the boil and perhaps pasteurized raw sugar cane in the secondary fermenter as well.

For the secondary, the initial plan was to steep the chopped cane in hot water to pasteurize it and extract the sweet flavor, then dump the "potion" right in to the fermenter.

Any input or tips would be most appreciated.

Electric, raw sugar cane. We have an international market in our area that sells very high quality, very fresh, cane stalks. I was considering chopping or dicing the stalk and A) using it in the main boil and/or B) dropping some of the cane stalk in to the secondary ferment. Maybe both. My aim is to use the cane for flavor and use malt extract for the bulk of the fermentable sugars.

All of the sugar will ferment out. I suspect the results will be similar to honey or maple sugar; you won't be able to taste the flavors much.

However, why not brew a beer and split it into two secondaries. Put the boiled cane in one and an equivalent amount of purified cane sugar in the other (so it will be as dry). That would let you compare the results.

Thanks for the input. I read the same thing in one of Papazian's books. That's also a good idea re: split batches. I'll probably try it. I was really hoping to bring out the flavor of fresh sugar cane. A little experimentation is in order. Another option, perhaps, would be using a partial amount of boiled cane to prime the finished brew. Check back in a couple of weeks and I'll be sure to post my results, good or bad.

Thanks for the input. I read the same thing in one of Papazian's books. That's also a good idea re: split batches. I'll probably try it. I was really hoping to bring out the flavor of fresh sugar cane. A little experimentation is in order. Another option, perhaps, would be using a partial amount of boiled cane to prime the finished brew. Check back in a couple of weeks and I'll be sure to post my results, good or bad.

Can you post your results?

The OP has not been on HBT since 2011. I was searching raw sugar cane and brewing, since I just saw a bunch in a local Mexican market. I may try using it.... If I do, I will post results.

Back