Cracked my first homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
Mmmmm! I cracked my first homebrew (beer) tonight. I needed to know if it was going to be ready for tomorrow or if I should buy commercial beer for a friend's party tomorrow night. Since it has been in the bottle for only a week I wasn't holding high hopes for it, and its not carbonated. But it tastes even better now than it did a week ago when I bottled it. Its an extra pale ale (Northern Brewer's Extra Pale Ale kit), and tastes pretty balanced, with a lean to the hoppy side. :rockin:

My water bath for my primary is in a closet on the opposite side of the room and averages about 71-73 degrees when I'm not cooling it with ice, so I'd say the bottles are around that. I'll probably wait until next weekend and try another and see how its doing then, but I'm not really in too much of a hurry because I need to keep drinking commercial beers for bottles for my Hefe in primary. I think I'll take 6 or 8 of my cider to the party tomorrow because its really not that good (yeah I know it gets better with long aging but I'm thinking it'll never be excellent being made from store bought apple "cider"/juice and I'd much rather have the extra bottles for beer).

Edit: Huh, homebrewer_99 we are from the same area. The party I'm headed to is at a friend's house in Orion, IL. Are there any homebrew shops in the Quad City area? There's one in Iowa City, but they aren't dedicated (mostly a liquor store), and am looking for a place to stop by once in a while and just browse.

Back