Safe temperature range?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morganm

Reaction score
Hello,

Ive brewed a few batches of ales recently and regardless where I store the carboys, it gets pretty warm. I live in Southern California. It's pretty warm, especially lately and it's getting warmer. Unless I crank up the AC all day, i cant get my house much lower than 75. The thermometers on my carboys are reading around 73-74 degrees and I just caught it at 76 degrees.

I know it should be kept around 70. Are my temps too high?

Thanks in advance.

Definitely too high for most yeasts. You need some form of active cooling, be it ice or an evaporator.

Or get some yeast that deals better with high temps (Belgian).

I used to have troubles with fermentations getting too warm as well. A cooler with water and some frozen water bottles help keep your carboy cool. I also throw a few heavy blankets over the top and I can maintain ~65deg with 80deg ambient temps.

I built a son of fermentation chiller and it works great. I built mine to hold two carboys side by side. I ferment my ales at 64 deg. and once the beer stableizes at this temp the fan hardly runs. I switch frozen water bottles every other day and there's still ice in the bottles that I pull out. Another benefit is that you don't have to worry about light affecting your beer.:mug:

Back