Sunshine Wheat Clone New Belgium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThaDutchMasta

Reaction score
Hey guys, since iv moved back home from living in Fort Collins, Co i've begun to miss their beer and was hoping that some has tried to clone or has something close to the sunshine wheat (http://www.newbelgium.com/beers_sw.php) . I brewed a fat tire clone on Wednesday, which was my first brew and it went well... just waiting for it to finish fermenting so i can bottle it even though ive heard its not as good bottle conditioned (any comments??).
Thanks,
ThaDutchMasta

I just ordered this kit from AHS for SWMBO. Would be interested in hearing results/thoughts as well.

No help on the clone recipe, but I've had this beer and it is very good! But then I love wheats. Maybe try modifying one of the citrus weizen recipes? I think you will have a difficult time duplicating the color of the sunshine wheat, but the flavor shouldn't be impossible.

Anyone out there have a close for this filtered wheat beer?

Here is a little blurb from NB website:

A filtered wheat beer, Sunshine Wheat swirls in the mouth with ripples of coriander and orange peel tartness, settling into a sea of honey and apple tones.

So I suppose you could be the standard 50% 2 row and 50% wheat, mix in some corriander and orange peel, then somehow get honey and apple in it, oh yeah, then filter it.

This sounding like a start I guess.

I have this clone in my secondary for week 2, primary was for 1 week. Still very cloudy. Also had a friend brew the same kit and after 4 weeks in the primary he noted is was very cloudy when racking the a keg. Any one else have similar experiences with this kit? how were your results?

I have this clone in my secondary for week 2, primary was for 1 week. Still very cloudy. Also had a friend brew the same kit and after 4 weeks in the primary he noted is was very cloudy when racking the a keg. Any one else have similar experiences with this kit? how were your results?

So how did it turn out?

To do a clear wheat beer like this one at home, I would do something like this:

4 lbs 2 row
4 lbs wheat

low alpha bittering hop

coriander and orange peel

highly flocculent(sp?) english ale yeast.

I while back I tried the recipe for the Sunshine Wheat in the 200 recipe clone book. It was not even close to the real thing! Since then I try to stay away from clones.Now I just make my own!

I have this fermenting now, I'll let you know how it taste side by side. Heres the Receipe I used:

4 oz. Gambrinus Honey Malt steepd for 30 minutes
mix with 4 lb. Alexanders wheat malt syrup, 2.4 lbs of Muntons wheat DME, and 1.2 oz. German Hallertau Hersbruker Hops. Boil all that for 45 minutes.

Then add 1/4 oz. bitter orange peal + 1 Tsp. Crushed corriander + 1 Tsp. Irish Moss. Boil for another 14 minutes.

Then add 1/4 oz. bitter orange peal + 1 Tsp. Crushed corriander and boil for 1 minute.

Pitch Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Yeast. Ferment for 7 Days then move to secendery and bottle when final gravity reaches 1.011.

Starting gravity should be 1.049

Bottle with 1-1/4 cups of Muntons Wheat DME boiled in 2 cups of water for your carbination.

I have this fermenting now, I'll let you know how it taste side by side. Heres the Receipe I used:

mix with 4 lb. Alexanders wheat malt syrup, 2.4 lbs of Muntons wheat DME, and 1.2 oz. German Hallertau Hersbruker Hops. Boil all that for 45 minutes.

Then add 1/4 oz. bitter orange peal + 1 Tsp. Crushed corriander + 1 Tsp. Irish Moss. Boil for another 14 minutes.

Then add 1/4 oz. bitter orange peal + 1 Tsp. Crushed corriander and boil for 1 minute.

Pitch Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Yeast. Ferment for 7 Days then move to secendery and bottle when final gravity reaches 1.011.

Bottle with 1-1/4 cups of Muntons Wheat DME boiled in 2 cups of water for your carbination.

Thank you for posting this! I misplaced this exact recipe I got from my LHBSS and was wanting to make it today! I owe ya! Hope yours turns out well!

Kolesy

How did it go?

Latest posts

Back