Brewers night out - 1/26

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
Here's to having some fun in Southern Vermont.
Let me know if anyone is still interested in getting together in Southern Vermont for a beer dinner complete with homebrew and a five course meal (TBD). We can also include skiing or snowboarding as well.
This Winter I'll be hosting a brewers night out. We'll focus more on drinking then brewing. Although... If anyone is interested we could make 10 gallons in the basement.

Meet up at my house, and enjoy a night away with some fine beer and food, and discuss anything beer, or otherwise. I have plenty of floor space to consider this an overnight event.
How does the 1/26/08 work?

In like Flynn, mutha****a! Not sure I'm down with the downhill adventures; I've downhill skiied exactly once in my life, going down a bunny hill built on a golf course :D

As to brewing, I can go either way - be a good time to brew up a nice dry Irish stout for St. Patty's day, and I'm gonna scarf your Classic American Pils recipe sometime in the near future.

I should be able to make that. My homebrew is almost all gone in the form of christmas presents, but I should have a few growlers of odds and ends left.

Here's the only thing - I'll have to get a wee bit of a late start that day, as that's Cassie's birthday party. I'm assuming that the party will be through 2:00 or so, then it's a bit more than an hour up to Bratt. There will be family around (in-laws), but I should be able to ditch without too much difficulty.

Awe-freakin' some! :rockin:

My only issue is that I've got to be back in Adams by 10:00 - 10:30 or so Sunday morning, so I can't get STUPID-drunk. Prolly not good to show up to Cassie's birthday party, with all of my and my wife's family, completely hung over... :D

I wish I could come. I love VT and all the New England HBT'ers sound really cool. I'll be pubcrawling Manhattan though, so I can't really complain :mug:

I'll try and get my bock bottled up this weekend, it might be a little young still (brewed it what, three months ago?), but should be good. I'll also bring over a keg of my pale ale for sampling.

I have the go-ahead from SWMBO to make this happen.

I'm going to need to get some more details as I will have to work through a myriad of logistical hurdles.

Among them:
Fly into Boston or Albany or Manchester via Philadelphia?
Weather may dictate what flights, etc.
Take the red-eye Friday and arrive Saturday morning or take Friday off and see some sights?
SWMBO has a cousin in Manchester, will she travel or not?
Rental cars, hotels and Brew pubs to hit.

olllllo said:

I'm going to need to get some more details as I will have to work through a myriad of logistical hurdles.

Among them:
Take the red-eye Friday and arrive Saturday morning or take Friday off and see some sights?

WOOT!

That's freakin' awesome! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

olllllo said:

Among them:

Man you are hardcore :rockin:

Alright, Jester, the bar's been set....

You've GOT to come down now... Hell, olllllllllllllllllo's flying out from freakin' Arizona, you can come down from Stowe!

olllllo said:

Among them:

Consider flying into Hartford if possible. It's a 90 minute drive on the interstate , that involves one stoplight (leaving the airport), and one stop sign, and three turns all within .5 miles of my house.
There are several convienent stops in the I91 corridor that could turn the ride to/from the airport an enjoyable event.

IIRC Southwest may flys direct to manchester from phoenix w/one stop? That is also a 90 minute ish' ride to Bratt. Cousins are always welcome at my house. ;)

Flying into Albany inthe winter can be tricky. If the weather is at all suspect, that drive can be a truly whit eknuckle experience.

Flying into boston can get you a direct flight, but from there it's 2.25 hours in the car from the airport. Boston is not an easy town to navigate if you have never been there.

Brewpubs, well there are plenty. There is plenty of floor space at my house if you like. A rental car might be a good idea.

My latest Black Dog Ale should be ready - maybe a tad young

... sorry Bird, but have run out of Bird's Brown (which was a real hit over Christmas !)

Please PM to let me know if I can bring anything else .. I imagine Ruby Red will be on the menu !

I'll see what I can do. As usual, I have no idea what my schedule will be as far as weekend work goes, and I need all the hours I can get right now:mad:

If I show, I'll try to bring some breathe right strips to spare the innocent:cross:

Thanks for the advice Glib.
Hartford gives me a good fly in option, but the fly out sucks. Deadheading a rental for an open jaw is going to make the car more expensive than a flight.

Unless there's a compelling reason to come in earilier, I'm thinking of taking a FRI night red-eye into Boston and would arrive there at 6AM.

That gives me time to muck around a little before I get to yon event.

I would leave on a 6PM flight from Boston.

Unless SWMBO wants to come with me and then visit her cousin in Manchester.... then it get complicated again.

the_bird said:
Alright, Jester, the bar's been set....

You've GOT to come down now... Hell, olllllllllllllllllo's flying out from freakin' Arizona, you can come down from Stowe!

Holy crap - you're not kidding! :D

We can get started as early as anyone would like.
If anyone is interested in skiing, I can get some 1/2 price tix for mt snow.
Other then that I figure we could get the ball rolling between 4-6 pm.
I'm also thinking that we may abstain from the brewing aspect so as to maximize our imbibing fun.
We could have dinner at my house, enjoy some beers, and then hit some of the local spots (all within walking distance). Then eventually stumble back to my place.
EDIT:

Additional ideas:
Brewery tour at McNeill's. New site, and old site.
Sunday morning mashing
Corny Keg stands:tank:

I'd love to actually get a chance to see McNeill's before he gets too soused..... :D

Should be a blast. I'd love to mash in Sunday morning, but I'll have to hit the road ASAP. I wasn't planning on lugging out all of my gear for this occassion. I'll definately have a keg or two with me, though (maybe I'll drop the coin on a couple new ones, I'm starting to run out :eek:)

Yeah, it's a good idea to get to the brewery earlier in the day if you know what I mean.;)
I was thinking about mashing in early sunday moring. Don't feel obligated to bring your brewing gear. This is designed to be more of a drinking/socializing event then a brew session.

+1 on Ray. I've read his opinions on the state of craft brewing and strategies to stay in business. Good stuff.

I'd like to remain drunker than him so as not to be let down. :)

What about a good ol fashioned tobaggan run?

olllllo said:
I'd like to remain drunker than him so as not to be let down. :)
What about a good ol fashioned tobaggan run?

Drunker then Ray....you have no idea:p
A toboggan run can be arranged.... There is a 90 meter ski jump a short walk thru the woods from my house:eek:

C'mon, Jester, wouldn't you rather spend the night with a bunch of your homebrewing bros that with your uber-sexy ladyfriend? Wait, that's not helping convince you, is it?....

I don't have much for homebrew, but will grab a growler at the Portsmouth Brewery and stop at Elm City in Keene and grab one their too. I have several Dogfish Head beers I don't mind dragging up; a 120 min from '06, Burton Baton, and a Raison D'Extra. I can also grab some Allagash, Maine is just a stone's throw from me. I highly recommend the Black and Fluxus, I doubt I can score some Interlude, but will try.

The only kegs I have on hand are young mead and a poorly balanced sweet brown ale. If there is interest, I will take them along.

What should I put on tap for the event?
Here are the choices:
  1. Imperial Red Ale- Single decoction ale bewed w/Simcoe Hops
  2. Altbier- My classic recipe
  3. One Love Pils - The original SMASH lager. 1 malt, 1 hop, 1 decoction:fro:
  4. Celebration Ale Clone- my try at a clone
  5. Pale Ale V3.1- an easy drinking house favorite.
Presently I have the my Bohemian Pils on tap which will likely kick before the 26th. So please choose three options.

Definately the first two. I'm bringing a simple, house-pale ale, so it'd be nice to compare mine to yours. Might bring my smoked hefe, if it's any good.

I've got one of those CO2 chargers, so I was planning on either just leaving them outside or keeping them in a tub of ice, then move the charger back and forth and dispense with picnic taps. I'm going to buy a sh*tload of the good beverage tubing so I can get a decent pour. We could always do that with any of your kegs that you'd like to sample but don't have room for in the kegerator.

I have ball lock disconnects for gas, and a picninc tap that we could use as well. I'm working on an extra tank of gas for us as well for another keg.
All this talk of beer has me thirsty.
We should also talk food as well. IIRC Verm, and Zero are Vegetarians, and I don't eat red meat.
I'd be happy to break the grill out now, as I think I may be able break it out of the snow bank.

I can bring along my tank if you want, and I've got enough spare parts ("T"s and ball-lock gas disconnects) where we could hook up a couple kegs to the tank, plus have the charger. I think the charger by itself would be fine, though. I just ordered extra cartridges for it. Let me know, it's easy enough to bring the tank along.

Back