Ramped Fermentation Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It seems the general consensus for fermentation temps is around 65-70* I usually ferment much lower (ales) at a constant 60-62* My ales turn out pretty nice.

But, my question for the day is about ramping temps. I know I've read about it somewhere.. Start at a lower temp for the first four days or so.. until the major fermentation is done and then ramp it up a couple of degrees per day until you hit about 70*

Pro's / Con's ????

Isn't the thought behind the temp rise that the first few days of fermentation the fermenting wort is about 10 or so degrees warmer than the ambient temperature? As fermentation slows down you would want to raise the ambient temp up while the wort temp slowly cools down to maintain a semi constant fermentation temperature.

Thanks mrrshotshot..

Actually, I think I'm fermenting at pretty close to 60*. I don't have an internal thermometer.. that's coming. But, I have a stick on and am fermenting in a rope bucket. The stick-on thermometer is above the water level and the long stem thermometer I use for brewing is in the water and both are pretty close to 61*. I think the internals are being kept pretty low.

Still, that said.. the post is about ramping to finish at a higher temp

I do this pretty much every batch. Ales are fermented (depending on yeast and desired characteristics) at anywhere between 60 and 68, and that's the temp of the actual beer via temp probe in a thermowell. I usually pitch *below* target fermentation temp as well, and let it rise until it reaches that target.

As fermentation winds down, I ramp the temp up to ~72. For dry-hopped beers, I'll leave it at 72 during the dry hop (4-10 days) before cold-crashing and kegging. For non-dry-hopped beers, I usually have a schedule that's 2 weeks from pitching to kegging, so I probably have anywhere between 2 and 5 days storage at 72 degrees.

Pros: If the yeast are having any trouble finishing, the higher temps help them get the job done.

Cons: I don't know of any -- fermentation is going so slow at this point that you're not going to get off flavors from the higher temp, and I doubt you'll even get significant ester production.

Back