The BeerBug™ Digital Hydrometer for homebrewers just raised $59k on Kickstarter (vide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea, but the video is a bit vague. This leaves you relying on individuals curiosity to look deeper in to the product.

I want to see the product, how it works, and while it is working. Until then, good luck. I don't even know what kickstarter is. Should I?

I like the idea, but the video is a bit vague. This leaves you relying on individuals curiosity to look deeper in to the product.

I want to see the product, how it works, and while it is working. Until then, good luck. I don't even know what kickstarter is. Should I?

Yeah, I couldn't get through it either.

Kickerstarter is a site to help fund an idea. If you want to start a business and need to raise a little money.

Yeah, I couldn't get through it either.

Kickerstarter is a site to help fund an idea. If you want to start a business and need to raise a little money.
It's essentially a kind of public micro-venture round. Usually the company in question offers future incentives for the capital ( preorders, free stuff, ect... ), but not always.

It seems like the ability to continuously monitor SG and therefore fermentation process would be a pretty big boon for homebrewers. I'm imagining an hour-by-hour plot with SG and temperature side by side where you could compare and tweak fermentation stages with way more precision. Definitely something I'd be interested in buying.

here is what the production model is going to look like [per their kickstarter page]
11421cb721237344022ad0e52558ecef_large.jpg

and pre-production model looks like this:
df9bc29003b723528478a4f4563a5efc_large.jpg

Depending on your level of sponsorship, it is either bluetooth or wifi capable, plus there's an option for a temperature probe.

I have been wondering how long it was going to be before someone did this.
I will wait for a little feedback from customers. If they are good to go I will purchase for sure.

It's a student project. They are using free PCB dev tools from Express PCB, A bluetooth module from Roving Networks, and what I think is a microchip processor onboard. I don't see any WiFi there, and I doubt it's present at all. I see these things in the video.

The housing is machined aluminum, which will have to be redone in plastic. I'm guessing they are using a small strain gauge to sense the weight of the bouyant float in the beer. The whole gizmo would replace your stopper/airlock. Watch out for blow offs!

It's a cool idea, and I'd buy one, but probably quite a ways from production.

It's a cool idea, and I'd buy one, but probably quite a ways from production.

Well the kickstarter doubled the money they were looking for. So I am very hopeful. I purchased the bluetooth model as it will be delivered in Dec, and the wifi one said april.

I will report in when I receive mine, but I am extremely excited.

Back