Mash paddle/canoe paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestCoastHopper

Reaction score
I've been feeling a lack of mash paddle lately, and now realize that those crappy plastic spoons are a poor substitute.

I did a little digging on easy homemade paddles and realized that a Child's canoe paddle should fit the bill. I found one cheap at the local sporting goods store.I was a little concerned (probably needlessly) over the varnish, so I sanded down to bare wood before drilling some holes. An 1 1/2" hole saw made for some nice dough-ball breaking goodness. I'm fairly happy with the outcome.

image-3424660790.jpg

image-3598663481.jpg

I bought a broken oar at auction, for a dollar, cut it down at both ends, sanded, and drilled the holes. Works good but I think I'll make one out of hardwood next. I agree on the crappy spoons. I had a 7 year old spoon that finally broke on me so I bought another one. I thought it was identical but it's not even close. It bends and looks more beat up after a couple of uses than the old one. They changed the plastic on them. I use it only to stir wort and not mash.

Back