Welches grape juice - Real tart taste - Any fixes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
I have a batch of Welches Grape juice I fermented for around 2 months.

Im trying it and it tastes very tart. I already bottled it but I have another batch on the way. Any good ideas on how to remove that tart taste?
:confused:

Well, I cant dump it. I'm really not in a position to. I might have to mix it with some soda or something that gets rid of that flavor.

I'm still in college and I made a 6.5 gallons of it. :drunk:

I put alot more sugar in the last one, maybe it will sweeten it a bit? lol.

Oak chips huh? interesting...

Sounds like the citric acid (preservative) from the original juice.

You could put it all back into a bucket and add some potasium sorbate to kill off the yeast then add 1 C of honey to sweeten it. Of course, it will be a still (non-carbonted) drink, but sweeter that what you have now.:D

For my Welch's, I drink it tart. But, you can sweeten. The first thing- DON'T just add extra sugar. It will ferment out and you'll have tart rocket fuel! The thing to do is to make it as the recipe calls for, and let it finish. When it's completely done, then add 2/3 tsp potassium sorbate and 5 campden tablets (for a 5 gallon batch). Rack, and then sweeten to your desired taste. Table sugar is fine. I mix up about 2 cups of sugar in about 3/4 cups water, boil until dissolved and add it to taste. Check the s.g. and wait a week. Check the s.g. again. If it's the same, bottle it.

Latest posts

Back