? about beer types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JACKAL0729

Reaction score
Hello. I am about to start making my first home brew but being a novice i am not sure what types of beer are what. I am acustom to drinking bud light, hineken and becks. I was wonderin what kit would be equivelent for my first brew. I am also wanting to make a strawberry beer for my wife. She likes the same types of beer that i do. I was wanting to know ifi just used a light beer kit and added strawberrys during the fermenting stage if it would be a good quality. Thanks for any help that you can give me.

All the beers you listed are lagers. Do you the equipment for lagering (somewhere you can put the beer at anywhere from 35-50F)? I don't think I can recommend a lager for a first try.

I would suggest some type of ale. Maybe a brown or amber ale or a pale ale. Where are you going to be buying your ingredients?

First off, welcome to the homebrew communtiy.
Second don't let the guys around here know that you like any of the big three:D Just kidding, Here is a link that will help you to understand styles they give good descriptions and then at the bottom give you a commercial example.
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/
If youare interested in doing a fruit beer I would suggesst looking around the forum for sugestions, but most people put it in the secondary fermentor. You can pretty much add fruit to any beer style that you want. not saying it is going to lend it self well to every style but it's possible.

Cheers

I would also suggest doing ales for a while before trying to lager. I first batch that I made was an amber ale. Get your brewing technique down before trying to do lagers.
Most of the fruit beers that I have done have been wheats. I use ~1# of fruit per gallon in the secondary fermenter.
Do a few regular batches, so you know you are doing a good job of cleaning and preventing contamination, and then try your fruit batch.
Welcome to the hobby.
Cheers,:tank:

Read, read, and read some more. =)

Then brew. A lot.

Grab the Joy of Homebrewing, Designing Great Beers, How to Brew, and whatever other books strike your fancy.

Then make something. It might suck, but you'll learn from it.

I took that approach, and have yet to make a beer that didn't get rave review from the people drinking it.

-D

Back