white spots on top of my kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenShowerGladiator

Reaction score
so yesterday i grabbed my secondary filled with some hopefully delicious honey Kolsch and put it on the kitchen counter to settle out and ready it for bottling today. i noticed there were a couple small spots floating on top of the beer. i figured maybe it was some trub or air bubbles that had just floated to the top. no biggie. i just got home with some bottles ready to light this bottling candle and noticed that the spots have grown a little bigger. i don't notice any mold growing and as i said, the spots look like a collection of tiny bubbles. but i'm of course worried now because they got bigger over night. any suggestions?

yesterday

tn.jpg

How does it smell? Have you been brave enough to taste it yet? It shouldn't kill you, 'nothing pathenogenic to man can live in beer'.

Very true. It might just go sour. You could age it for a while and see how it turns out.. One of mine went sour a coulple months ago because I was sampling and showing it off to my friends and some wild stuff got in.

oh i'll taste it. i've been shot at, stabbed on my arm in a fight, took in too much water twice when i was 8 and 12 and had to be given CPR, survived many hurricanes when i live in Florida, saved a school bus of children from a meteor strike and god knows what else. i'm made for this

24 kids in all. i'm shocked nobody saw it on the news.

and i just tried it. no sour notes at all. tasted exactly how i envisioned a month ago. so i guess its all down hill from here

Your beer is, was and will be fine. That looks perfectly normal.

The top of our beer is seldom perfectly clean, especially if it hasn't been long since the krausen dropped. There's almost always yeast rafts floating on the surface. It's really nothing to worry about.

it just seemed awfully weird that those spots increased as much as they did just 1 day later. but you're telling me what i want to hear so that's good enough for me. it was getting consumed one way or another

I wasn't concerned until I actually read your user name! It looks fine.....but I'm not sure I'd drink it!
:mug:

Back