Hops Pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAlexander

Reaction score
Hey guys.

New here and very new to homebrewing, so forgive any seemingly obvious questions.

I've brewed 2 batches of beer so far and both have used hops pellets. Both times the instructions have called for simply adding the hops to the brew and boiling. However, upon reading up I'm finding that you should somehow be removing the hops. Should I be putting the hops pellets in a bag like the secondary grains? Should I be removing them somehow?

Connor

welcome to the joy of homebrew!

As with most things HB, you'll probably get as many different responses as you are willing to hear.

Bottom-line:
They'll settle out in your primary.

There was a recent thread on here about this...somewhere.
I put mine in a large grain bag. Some people just chuck them in and then use a strainer when pouring into the carboy. Others use Hopstoppers.
Or as ECODork said you can just let the hops settle out in primary.

Yup, I just throw 'em in and forget 'em. Some people like to do lots of stuff when they brew and some people like to do very little. Just about everyone makes good beer, so do what suits you. If you think they ought to come out, then take them out. If you could not be bothered to go through the extra work, then leave them in.

Just leave them in. I have for many, many batches. When all the yeasties and other trub settles, all the hop pellets will have joined them on the bottom of the fermenter.

When you siphon out the beer, make sure your racking cane is high enough so the suction doesn't disturb the settlings.

I use a kitchen sieve when moving to the primary. Mesh allows a lot through but that is taste that is going into primary and I like BIG beers!

I've thought about that too, but I've read that you should leave SOME of them in there when you dump to primary for food for the yeast.

Latest posts

Back