Saint Patrick's Windy Cousin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
Hey Guys, here's my stab at an Irish Pale Ale we hope to start Friday, which will give us 4 batches ready in time for Saint Patrick's day. Unlike our other 3 batches, this will be a little sweeter and lighter colored, so we can dye it green and it will contrast well with our special porter. Please let me know if you see any potential deal-breakers...

6 lbs Extra Light DME
1 lb English Crystal 17L (steep)
1 lb Brown Sugar 60 mins
1 oz Willamette 60 mins
.5 oz Fuggle 30 mins
.5 oz Fuggle 15 mins
.5 oz Fuggle 5 mins
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins
16 oz Irish Cream Syrup 15 mins
Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale)

A little explanation of the name..."Windy" is an Irish slang term meaning 'weak looking and possibly gay' taken from irishslang.net. I'm not usually a fan of the lighter beers, but I think this one will turn out well. :D

I'd hold off on this until the clearing or bottling stage, so you can tune the amount. When you add it would depend on how much sugar it contains.

david_42 said:

I'd hold off on this until the clearing or bottling stage, so you can tune the amount. When you add it would depend on how much sugar it contains.

I (the better, wiser half, of dead yeti brewing) suggested this to him. I also suggested that if we do it during secondary we can see how it effects the beer better so that it might be possible to prime with it for bottling depending on the results... Basically what he was going for was a mild hop and medium sweetness light colored beer that we could dye for St. Patty's day, i think it came to around 7.5% ABV on promash too...

Also, a little clarification there's two of us... I'm the one that posts more often, just refer to me as 'Big Foot'... You can call him whatever you want.

OK, haven't updated this since brewing it.

We brewed it and it tasted great going into secondary, we added the Irish Creme and it didn't taste so good. After sampling when we bottled it did not taste so great. The flavors were very over-bearing. Well St. Patty's came and each week as we sampled it got better. A lot of people actually liked it. It has started to grow on both of us as well...

After a couple more weeks the flavors have mellowed great together, a week in the fridge and the beer is really smooth and you get a good bit of the Irish Creme flavor.

Just goes to show, sometimes even your worst beer turns out great.

Latest posts

Back