Stop using Irish Moss!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umami can be described as savoriness or 'that something special' in certain foods - a very different thing from mouth feel as a whole. Most beer features umami as a flavor component to some degree, some more than others...

Read up on glutamatic acid - sorta like LSD for your taste buds. And no, it's not quite the same as Monosodium glutamate. There's no Chinese Food Syndrome from my brews.

- Mike

"Better living though chemistry"

I don't like clear beer personally, so I have not ever added irish moss.

The major issue for us, as discussed before, was whether the amount used in our beer risks any health effects. I have a hard time believing it is dangerous -- especially in the volumes used in beer -- but I would be open to seeing legitimate medical studies suggest otherwise.

The lawyer has to file the initial claim by including any possible known reason to go after the product. Even flimsy evidence can be sufficient to at least move into discovery, at which time medical expertise will become involved and real evidence starts to be explored. I would assume the lawyer looked at the known side effects for the ingredients as reported by the FDA. The FDA reports pretty much anything they are notified to. If a handful of people developed ulcers from consuming irish moss, it will get listed as a side effect.

Umami can be described as savoriness or 'that something special' in certain foods - a very different thing from mouth feel as a whole. Most beer features umami as a flavor component to some degree, some more than others...

Read up on glutamatic acid - sorta like LSD for your taste buds. And no, it's not quite the same as Monosodium glutamate. There's no Chinese Food Syndrome from my brews.

- Mike

I stand corrected.

- Mike

MSG does not contribute to the "Chinese Food Syndrome;" the problem is histamines found in soy sauce. MSG is merely the mono-salt of glumatic acid and 1 mol NaOH. MSG is a source of the amino acid glutamate, but we get tons of glutamate from other sources. You are right about our taste buds and glutamate . . . basically glutamate is a chemical signal to our brain that "protein is abundant in this food." Nucleotides such as disodium guanylate and disodium inosinate are signals to our brain that " this food comes from paraxial mesoderm" aka muscle tissue. We love foods that have these compounds. The end result is the same sort of deal as with MSG, lots of amino acid glutamate, which is no big deal. MSG has a bad rap because you can make money with "organic" and "chemical free" food, which usually is less healthy, less tasty, less developed, more rotten, or at least some combination of the four.

The lawyer has to file the initial claim by including any possible known reason to go after the product. Even flimsy evidence can be sufficient to at least move into discovery, at which time medical expertise will become involved and real evidence starts to be explored. I would assume the lawyer looked at the known side effects for the ingredients as reported by the FDA. The FDA reports pretty much anything they are notified to. If a handful of people developed ulcers from consuming irish moss, it will get listed as a side effect.

Well, it is actually a lower threshold than that. All he has to do is state the court's subject matter jurisdiction, personal jurisdiction, give notice of the claims, how the plaintiff is entitled to relief, and damages, which is a low standard because we have notice pleading, not fact pleading. The court will not "go after the product," and as you correctly surmised, it is the FDA's power to investigate and approve food, drugs, food additives, and pretty much anything else it wants to. The FDA . . . is perhaps the most corrupt, inept, blatantly abusive, blatantly lethargic, schizophrenic agency. You can thank the SCOTUS for allowing such unconstitutional delegations of legislative power to bureaucracies like the FDA.

The attorney does not need to look at the known side effects for the complaint. Evidence might be an issue after the defendant has received the complaint and gives a call to the plaintiff and says "this is BS" or "there is no evidence, so what is your thought process" or "how much $ should we start with?" Then discovery, then pretrial conference, then trial, where expert witnesses (no need for an MD) can really do the damage.

No Way! I think if there is any truth to this I think you would have to be consuming mass amounts of it. Plus we are boiling one table spoon in 5 gallons.

This is highly rational. If only people understood this is how toxicity works. Some people are initially disposed to toxicity from low doses of compounds "allergies."

Wow, 5 pages in two days over this ridiculous claim.... we all have to remember that even if we are using it, it binds to the proteins in solution and drags them down to the bottom - which is where they stay when you rack.

None of us are actually eating or drinking the irish moss. Plus we use so little that this is of no concern. I would also like to add that I'm pretty sure it's a bogus lawsuit to begin with.... it's still going in my next brew!

This sounds like something to keep an eye on, but not to freak out about. Add it to the list of substances with possible health effects, along with ethanol(!), fusels, phenols, DMS, etc. Personally, I'm more concerned about the hazards to my health due to the consumption of hydrogenated fats, pesticides, herbicides, and everything that could show up on a label as "modified" food starch.

Also, speaking as a former aircraft anti-ice system engineer, I have no idea how they can claim a link between the chemicals. TKS fluid is composed of glycol, isopropanol, and water. There are only a couple of manufacturers and few variations. It's possible that there are some undisclosed additives in very small quantities to enhance its wetting characteristics and inhibit corrosion, however.

Umami in beer? Not sure about that one... I'll use other means to get a nice solid mouthfeel.

Best path to getting some umami in your beer is let it sit on yeast too long :p make your own "autolyzed yeast extract" :eek:

Who? I gotta get a TV. It sounds important. With one word names, maybe Britney and Lindsay are famous? If they are that famous, please let me know so I can buy a TV asap.

Never heard of them, either. Must not be famous enough to justify buying a television.

I'm gonna stick with my old Philips AM upright console tube radio. It even has shortwave bands, and there's a kit you can buy (or used to be able to) in order to convert it to watch TV on a round tube. I can still pull in the shortwave stations at night with it.

One of these days, I might just convert it over to receive TV.

+1,001. Almost all medications are poisons at higher concentrations.

Indeed. The dosage makes the poison.

------------
Paracelsus, sometimes called the father of toxicology, wrote:[9]

German: Alle Ding' sind Gift, und nichts ohn' Gift; allein die Dosis macht, daß ein Ding kein Gift ist.
"All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."

That is to say, substances considered toxic are harmless in small doses, and conversely an ordinarily harmless substance can be deadly if over-consumed. Even water can be deadly if over-consumed.[10]
------------

If your going to use Moss

PLEASE use

RANDY MOSS

randy-moss.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it just might be used as a thickener, in wing de-icing formulas... HOWEVER, the active ingredient in wing de-icer/anti-icing fluid is... propylene glycol, which the FDA says is "relatively safe." Not about to go chugging antifreeze, just to find out.

Toxicity, of propylene glycol (not a beer ingredient) is reached at about 1gram/liter of blood plasma... That's drinking a butt-load of antifreeze, or eating a vast quantity of ice-cream... Bring-on the world-class guzzlers and eaters and see if they can reach that level, on beer!

Edit: Elsewhere, in the news, beer and aviation came together for a hilarious news story...http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100810/ap_on_bi_ge/us_flight_attendant_arrest

Like I said there is more in ice cream than our beer! most of ours drops out... AND it's just seaweed! seaweed salad at the sushi bar!.... tastes great... less filling!

We could always take a poll...

How many irish moss/Whirlfloc users at HomeBrewTalk have ulcers...

I consume more than my share of home brew and so far i'm ulcer free. In fact when I drink I become witty, charming, and sometimes philosophical. Maybe it's a side effect of the irish moss.

Gotta love modern media. No need for pesky things like facts or logic, just say something scary or outrageous, or both.

Not that I'm buying into, or discrediting this claim, but the argument that 'this is only seaweed' doesn't mean squat. I mean, mushrooms are only mushrooms too, right? But most of them are poisonous if consumed.

I've lived in Asia for years and seaweed is in everything they eat. Yum Yum!

I thought salt was poison; people used to eat salt to avoid the draft; right? Anyway, I suppose we will get an FDA warning soon.

I always wondered if Irish Moss works.

So should we quit using toothpaste too? That has seaweed in it. I'm pretty sure I should trust all lawyers, especially the type of lawyer who would take a case like this.
Lastly, tmz is silly. Irish moss ftw.

"I believe this would be called a logical fallacy. Toxicity and the ability to melt ice are in no way related."
Fallacy?! Wrong! Salt melts ice and it is therefore toxic. Don't talk to me about fallacies!

"causes gastrointestinal ulcers if you use it in a weight loss supplements..." there you go dieting will kill you...lol home brewers have been using it for years the stuff fall out and takes away that protein haze in your brew. I wouldn't worry because it hasn't rotted my gut yet...DOH!

I've replaced mine with anhydrous hydrogen hydroxide. It works wonderfully, but you do have to boil it.

Hydrogen hydroxide - that's pretty old school. I do find hydric acid to be indispensible in the boil, however.

Back