Illudium PU-36 Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Scotch Ale
Yeast Starter
Partial yeast cake
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Nottingham Dry Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5 Gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
Bottle Conditioned
Tasting Notes
Nice base porter with a well balanced smokiness.
I was going for a more brown porter styled lighter more drinkable porter for this smoked bier as I wanted something to go well with grilled foods & the foods of summer. However due to higher efficiency than anticipated 86% my OG was about 11 points higher than planned. Thus the bier has a nice brown porter flavor profile but is larger than it should be.

Important Note: The smoked malts & crystal malts were homemade. The smoked malts were smoked with oak wood for approximately 1.5 hours with a very small fire source to keep heat down, 8-12 briquettes plus chunks of wood. Both the smoked malts and homemade crystal were allowed to mellow for a couple months before brewing even though only a few weeks is needed. My smoked malt was heavily smoked compared to commercial varieties and is probably 1.5 - 2 times more powerful, adjust your recipe accordingly if using commercial malts.

Stats
OG 1.057
FG 1.016
IBU 25
SRM 28
BU:GU 44

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE
61% 6 4 British Pale (Maris Otter)
19% 2 0 Smoked Malt (homemade)
7% 0 12 American Crystal 80L (homemade)
5% 0 8 American Chocolate
3% 0 5 Flaked Wheat
2% 0 4 Black Patent Malt
2% 0 4 Pale Chocolate Malt

hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 1.0 Willamette pellet 4.8
boil 15 mins 0.5 Willamette pellet 4.8

Yeast
Edinburgh (partial yeast cake)
Nottingham Dry Yeast

Other
Whirlflock Table - 15 mins

The verdict on this bier is WOW. Since I over shot my OG I was worried about a few things, no more. The flavor at bottling was that of a nice brown porter with balanced smokiness & bitterness. Theres a distinct chocolate flavor along with a moderate roast character. There are notes of caramel & burned sugars. The bitterness comes through really well and seems more along the lines of 35 ibus rather than the calculated amount. Very drinkable at this young stage and should require little to no aging.

Latest posts

Back