Cold Brewed Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Yet another coffee thread ....

Anyone make cold brewed coffee? Lots of different variations of how to make it. Would be cool to get different ideas.

What coffee to water ratio do you use?
How long do you let sit?
Whole bean, partially ground, very ground?

Toddy coffee is an experience like no other.
1lb course ground coffee in 8 cups of cold water. Steep 24 hours, draw off the goodness, store.
http://www.toddycafe.com/

Others here have recommended just using a French press which would work pretty nice I think.

Yet another coffee thread ....

Anyone make cold brewed coffee? Lots of different variations of how to make it. Would be cool to get different ideas.

What coffee to water ratio do you use?
How long do you let sit?
Whole bean, partially ground, very ground?

I have been reading up on this too.

My plans for a 5 gallon batch that has plenty of coffee aroma/taste is:

• boil 32oz of water to sanitize
  • Cool the water down
  • grind 4oz coffee coarsely
  • cold press in coffee press for 24 hours
  • pour liquid into bottling bucket
  • rack beer into bucket to mix

Is the Toddy a press system? If so how does it work compared to just steeping grounds in water.

I have been reading up on this too.

My plans for a 5 gallon batch that has plenty of coffee aroma/taste is:

• boil 32oz of water to sanitize
  • Cool the water down
  • grind 4oz coffee coarsely
  • cold press in coffee press for 24 hours
  • pour liquid into bottling bucket
  • rack beer into bucket to mix

Depending on what you're brewing you might want to add more coffee. My roommate just did a coffee stout with a half pound of beans, and it's just barely enough coffee. We did 8oz of coarsely ground beans in a cold press with 16oz of water, so we might not have had enough water to get the full coffee extraction.

It is not a press.
Put the beans in, add water slowly to the top letting the beans float. After 24 hours remove the stopper from the bottom and let it drain through the filter.

Kind of off subject a little. But, I tried the Starbucks VIA instant coffee in cold water and over ice and it was actually good!

I have a Toddy and use it from time-to-time. It works very well, and the product is much different than a typical "drip" coffee. Smoother, more complex, less acidic. I really like it. Most of the time, though, I use my espresso maker for coffee because I'm lazy.

From reading you loose about 33% of the caffeine doing a cold press. I wonder if there is a way to extract more not involving heat.

Love the cold brew coffee! If you've ever had a great iced coffee beverage, it was likely made with the concentrate produced by the cold brew method. Without the heat you get a really smooth coffee flavor without the bite. The drawbacks are having to prepare it at least the day before, and you use more coffee than you would with traditional brewing methods so it isn't as cost-effective...

I make cold brew coffee every now and then. I don't do it very scientifically... I fill up my grinder with beans, hit it a couple times for a coarse grind, dump that in the french press, then top off with water and let it set 12-24 hours on the kitchen counter. After that you can press the grounds to the bottom and pour your concentrate into a vessel to keep in your fridge. I've heard folks say up to a week but it never lasts that long at my house! I did own a Toddy maker 20 years ago but it got lost along the way. If you Google around you can find all sorts of inventive ways people have used to produce cold brew coffee. I like the french press because it is inexpensive, effective, easy to clean, and multi-purpose...

I added a full french press worth when I bottled my Breakfast Stout 'clone' a couple weeks ago. Ground coffee had already been added at flameout - this addition just gave it a little extra kick. The guy I split the batch with did a "dry coffee" addition instead (secondary on top of coarse ground beans) so it'll be interesting to compare...

The cold brew coffee is concentrated which makes it great for camping. Whip some up before you leave home and pour it into a Nalgene to keep in your cooler. In the morning you just have to heat up water to make a hot cup of joe, or maybe some milk for cafe au lait. If you don't mind your coffee strong, it's also tasty as-is! Without the heat during the brewing process you get a really smooth final product. Delicious!

Back