A lager question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evstakiev

Reaction score
I'll be making my first lagger in a couple of days and I heard that after 3 months of lagering at 3C (37F) there should be enough yeast to bottle condition but the guy at the homebrew store told me that I shouldn't lager that long... he told me maybe one week or two tops.

Anyway, I plan on keeping it in primary for 3 weeks at 11-15 C (52-58 F)
Then raise temp to room temp for 2 days (Too kill butterscotch flavors)
Then lager in Secondary for 3-4 months at 3-4 C (37-40 F)
Raise Temp to room temp, add bottling sugar, then bottle condition for 3 weeks

OG should be 1.062
FG should be 1.019

White Labs Octoberfest Lager Yeast (WLP820)
Yeast details
Attenuation: 65-73%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 52-58°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

I know it's the second time I post this but no one responded the first time, please help...

3 months lagering should not be a problem, I would however add some extra yeast at bottling along with the priming sugar. I had a pilsner that I did not add extra yeast to and it took nearly 6 weeks to be carb'd and it was a bit low at that.

I ferment mine at 52-54 for 4 weeks, If you cold pitch you don't need the Diacetyl rest. I force carbonate so can't help you on the carbing but 3 weeks in the primary is no big deal.

Interesting. I've lagered for 2 months and had enough good carbonation when I bottled.
I didn't think there was such a thing as lagering too long.

If you add yeast at bottling, how is that done?
Just "some" yeast of "some" type, and away you go?

I like to lager the yeast out of it and add 2-3 grams of a yeast better for bottle conditioning. T-58 makes a nice firm sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Nottingham works well too. I get much less sediment in my lagers than I do my ales. They still carb in about one week at room temp just like all my ales do.

Ok, thanks... so you guys suggest that I do add yeast at the end of the lagger period.

Should I just add with the priming sugar, or should I put it in a pint of water first?
And should I gentling stir it in or add it while racking to bottling bucket this way it stirs it-self in?

What I do when I re-yeast a lager is to mix up the priming solution and let it cool. I think add 1/4 of a package of dry yeast (generally Nottingham) to the cooled priming solution, stir it well, and then rack the beer into that. It works great!

Back