What's wrong with a split boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tech211

Reaction score
I have read a number of threads regarding indoor brewing. Most mention split boils and note that it works fine. However, I get the feeling that other methods including partial mash and smaller batches are preferred. Is there anything at all wrong with split boils aside from dividing the hops?

There's nothing wrong with it at all. It just makes things a bit more complicated. As you mentioned, you need to split the hops, the extract and grains (if used) and have two pots to clean up when you're done.

Personally, I preferred the late addition extract method when I was brewing on the stove with extract. It seemed to help my hop extraction and reduce the darker color you can easily get from carimalization of the extract.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Extract Method to your Madness -

I just did a split boil this afternoon... Worked great, splitting ingredients is easy, and my only complaint being the cooling process. Had to use the bathtub instead of the kitchen sink since I can't fit two pots in the sink... Looks like it's finally time to invest in a wort chiller!

Thanks, guys. I brew all-grain so the only thing I will have to split is the wort and the hops. Sounds simple.

Back