Question about buying a converted keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidgerbil

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a possible line on a converted keg, standard 1/2 barrel sankey keg, top cut out, a handle and some tabs welded to it so that it acts as a lid, four full size 1/2" couplers welded in, one for the valve, one for the thermometer, one for the sightglass, and one for a return for recirculating. The seller is asking for $150. Do you guys think that is a good deal?

I have looked around in the Seattle area, and getting my hands on a keg, from craigslist or anywhere else, will cost me a minimum of $30, and the welding work would cost me another $65, so I am figuring, all in all, it sounds like a good deal...

Well I would say if you cant do the work yourself or are not wanting to. Then ya 150 bones is a fair price. If I was to sell 1 I would want at least that.
JJ

Jay,
So is it a lot of work? I don't want to short change the guy either. He did all the work himself, and it looks good, to me at least, but what do I know...

I think that is a really good price, it is not shortchanging if that his what he wants for it. he may have gotten the keg for nothing so all he has in it is the other parts and time.

you may want to make sure that the welds are water tight first. Nothing like getting it home and halfway through your boil you find half of your wort on the ground!

Jay,
So is it a lot of work? I don't want to short change the guy either. He did all the work himself, and it looks good, to me at least, but what do I know...
Lee
I think its a great deal for the both of you. If I was to break it down in cost
$40+ for the keg
$32 for the fittings
$5-10 for the mics stainless for the tabs and the stainless rod for the welding
MIN of $80 for any welding shop to cut and weld in all the fittings
Total 162.00
he did all the work himself but you would have to pay someone to do it. If its a nice kettle I dont see any reason to pass up on it if your in the market for one.
Happy buying
JJ

Thanks man...
I think I might go ahead and do it...

I still want to learn how to weld and do it myself, but I also want to get brewing again as soon as possible. The local technical college has a welding class two nights a week, but the current one started a few weeks ago, so now I will have to wait until the next run through, in January.

Back